Sydney Airport Message Board

Sydney Airport Message Board (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/index.php)
-   Australia and New Zealand Industry (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sydney Diversions due FOG - 21 Apr (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=8105)

Chris G 21st April 2012 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad Varney (Post 73142)
BA 15 and QF 6 diverting to YBBN due to heavy fog, QF6 had a missed approach.

I was on the Friday night QF6 from the SIN to SYD. We were not aware of the fog until we entered the hold off the coast of SYD. The FO advised us they had taken on extra fuel as the forecast included fog and we may need to divert to Brisbane. We did one approach on Rwy 34L at around 5:40am with the missed approach being conducted (hopefully without waking up too many people to the north of the airport). We diverted to BNE and sat on the ground for around 30 minutes waiting for the fuel truck to work its way through the queue. We eventually got back to SYD at around 09:40am. We were advised by the CSM that a number passenger had fallen ill during the evening and the plane would need to be cleared by quarantine prior to any passengers be allowed to leave. The queue in immigration was typical for a Saturday morning with all the lanes and smartgate getting a solid workout. I had a connecting flight to Armidale originally departing at 0840am however Qantas automatically put me on the 12:10pm service. All in all well handled by the Qantas crew and operations.

I understand over 5,000 passengers across multiple airlines were impacted by this mornings SYD fog. Some were impacted further as their crews had exceeded duty time and could not continue the flight to SYD. The flight crew also said that CNS and OOL as well as ADL and BNE received a number of diversions this morning.

Sarah C 21st April 2012 05:44 PM

5,000 people is a number that doesn't surprise me - well done to all involved, I know passengers would have been annoyed with the delays but the ground crews and on board crews always do they all they can to get everyone to thier destination as quickly as possible. No one can control the weather and everyone's patience is tested.

Adam P. 21st April 2012 08:07 PM

Fog in MEL this morning as well, ADL got a few diversions - from memory a Cathay, an Air NZ jet that didn't even bother trying at Melbourne, and probably a few more I forget.
Airborne holding of up to an hour and a half was being quoted at one stage.

Brad Varney 21st April 2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris G (Post 73178)
I was on the Friday night QF6 from the SIN to SYD.

Hey Chris I happened to film your aircraft landing today. :)

Brock Little 21st April 2012 09:34 PM

OOL just got a JQ A320 and a bizjet :(
Glad to hear it was handled well Chris.

Andrew Coggan 21st April 2012 10:12 PM

Fog forecast for Sydney again tomorrow morning.

Jayden Laing 21st April 2012 10:24 PM

Now that winter has almost arrived Andrew, expect FOG to be in the forecast every morning!!

Philip Argy 22nd April 2012 03:00 AM

QF2 had to wait for a tug driver!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul McFarlane (Post 73157)
Just saw a QF A380 takeoff from Adelaide

I heard that QF2 was delayed because "the" A380-qualified tug driver had to be located and rushed to the airport! Could that really be true?

Kieran Wells 22nd April 2012 05:51 AM

United 839 and QF12 heading to Brisbane this morning.

Brock Little 22nd April 2012 06:41 AM

VA2 and QF108 also...G-BNLW that was doing yesterday's BA15 left Brisbane just an hour ago!