Sydney Airport Message Board

Sydney Airport Message Board (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/index.php)
-   Australia and New Zealand Industry (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Oil Price Relief for Oz Carriers? (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=1661)

Rick K 9th October 2008 09:47 PM

I vaguely thought that the price paid was linked to the cost of Singapore Jet Fuel.
If that were the case the $A vs $S has only varied by -15 to -18% - not by -35% as against $US

Lukas M 10th October 2008 07:33 AM

With oil now trading at US$85 a barrel at this timeframe, just interested as to what it averaging around the same time last year...?

Michael Morrison 10th October 2008 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lukas M (Post 14195)
With oil now trading at US$85 a barrel at this timeframe, just interested as to what it averaging around the same time last year...?

Interesting question.

I just had a look at historical exhange rates.

Back in 2004 the AUd was sitting around 72c US - Not to far from where it is now and oil was around the $60 per barrel mark.

From 2004
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...784049180.html

"The airline will lift its one-way fuel surcharge for Qantas domestic, QantasLink and Jetstar flights by $2 to $12. One-way surcharges for international flights will rise $7 to $29.

"With jet fuel now at more than $US60 a barrel and showing no sign of falling, an increase in the airline's fuel surcharge was unavoidable," Qantas chief financial officer Peter Gregg said in a statement.
"
International flights are now upto $190 on some routes!

Montague S 10th October 2008 01:45 PM

this time last year it was around $77 USD p/b, but the AUD was buying close on .90 USD, the price was less back then for a barrel and it was helped by a strong AUD, now oil is falling back to last years price but the AUD is plunging with it.

right now the AUD is buying .66 USD and a barrel of oil is trading at $83.29USD, so it works out to be around $130 AUD for a barrel of liquid tar.

Montague S 10th October 2008 06:03 PM

QF share price has taken another hammering along with the rest of the market today...

$2.58, how low will the ASX go?

Rhys Xanthis 10th October 2008 06:19 PM

Crap its finished below 4000:eek:...we were pushing 7000 last year :(.

We've got a ways to slide yet...I can't see anything in terms of confidence coming into the markets.

NickN 10th October 2008 07:49 PM

The ASX is in for rough times yet. I feel sorry for everyone who has their nest egg tied up with the big superannuation companies, you guys must have lots a fortune over the past few weeks. Fortunately I have my super managed by myself and my exposure really hasn't changed. I thank god for that because it woould take several years to recoup the losses made by most super firms.

Good news is the banks are willing to throw money at you for less now, I have CBA offering mortgages back in the low 7% bracket which was unheard of a few months back.

Hang on tight the rollercoaster hasn't ended yet.

Rhys Xanthis 10th October 2008 07:55 PM

Watch for the next interest rate cuts - the dollar is going slip further:(

Heh, our holiday next year may well have to be put on hold (again!):(

Montague S 10th October 2008 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickN (Post 14246)

Good news is the banks are willing to throw money at you for less now, I have CBA offering mortgages back in the low 7% bracket which was unheard of a few months back.

good luck getting a loan though..banks aren't even lending to each other let alone anyone else, I'm riding it out, might even start buying up.

Rhys Xanthis 11th October 2008 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montague S (Post 14248)
good luck getting a loan though..banks aren't even lending to each other let alone anyone else, I'm riding it out, might even start buying up.

Its got a way to fall yet i believe, but more of this thinking is certainly coming around, an encouraging sign that the market is meeting some kind of Level of Support.

But in the same way the market has to be very careful of the quick selling of stocks after purchase.