Sydney Airport Message Board

Sydney Airport Message Board (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/index.php)
-   Spotting and Movements (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   'Restricted' Photography Areas at YSSY (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=104)

Mick M 25th March 2008 10:09 PM

Ya know Nigel, I was going to mention said union in last post but I thought better of it. Now you get the blame for the next baggage strike. And magistrates, no, I'd better stay mum on that point!

Ryan Hothersall 25th March 2008 10:10 PM

Pics at yssy

Sorry if I came across like I was having a hissy fit.

What I can't understand is that companies are worried about cameras, yet people have eyes and a brain.

If they are so worried, build a big wall around the airport, blindfold everyone that has to go past the wall and put passengers aboard planes with no windows , then only fly at night and then sit back and watch how fast the airport and airlines go out of business.

damian f 26th March 2008 07:45 AM

Good to see some healthly debate... again about an age-old subject!!

Maybe SACL have mis-understood me... I take 'catalogue' photos for my own personal collection. I have no commercial interest at all, or even gained commercially in the last 13 or so years of enjoying my hobby. I consider the fees ridiculous and would rather risk 10 mins at the GA to get a few Biz-jets than pay $XXX for the time.

Hi Morris, I made it quite clear that by 'terminal', I meant inside from the 'public areas' - behind the glass - definitley not airside. I also made it quite clear that at no stage do I wish to go airside at all... as far as I am concerned, SACL have provided sufficient landside areas for me to get the photos that I want.

My original letter to SACL was as a result of an incident at Cairns Airport where the 'current security climate' excuse was used to suggest that for future visits to ANY airport, I seek written approval from the relevant Authority to take photos at that airport... This is the first time I have done this and look what happens...

Damian

Brenden S 26th March 2008 12:54 PM

It isnt that hard to sneak a camera onto that bus!!!
I walked from the terminal to sheps mound a few times before I got my wheels. Long walk but worth the effort.

Morris Biondi 26th March 2008 03:06 PM

Damien,

You did the right thing by trying to get official permission, I think I certainly misunderstood what was meant by the letter, I'm glad you cleared up, unfortunately when you write to official bodies sometimes you get official replies as Craig said you probably just got a standard response.

But I do stress that you did the right thing, unfortunately the concept is unknown here in Sydney, but at airports around the world like MCO or CDG if you write in advance you will be issued with a pass which will let security know what you are doing, they may still approach you, but once you show this official pass you will be OK.

Here in Sydney to be fair if you do the right thing and stay about 3 meters back from the fence you will rarely be hassled, our hobby seems to be understood better here than in a lot of other places around the world.

When you come down the locals will show you exactly where to take the best photos at what time of the day.

Good luck.

Morris

Grant Smith 30th March 2008 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morris Biondi (Post 645)
Damien,
Here in Sydney to be fair if you do the right thing and stay about 3 meters back from the fence you will rarely be hassled, our hobby seems to be understood better here than in a lot of other places around the world.

Moreso if you know the right people ;)

Steve Schueler 8th April 2008 07:13 PM

Last month I was approached by a Virgin Blue crew member and asked to stop photographing one of the new Virgin Embraers through the window at the Sydney Domestic Virgin Terminal. The reason given was because of 'Security'.
Anyone else had this experience?

Brian Wilkes 8th April 2008 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Schueler (Post 2083)
Last month I was approached by a Virgin Blue crew member and asked to stop photographing one of the new Virgin Embraers through the window at the Sydney Domestic Virgin Terminal. The reason given was because of 'Security'.
Anyone else had this experience?

Take no notice of them and tell them to go about there business.

Nigel C 8th April 2008 08:37 PM

Way to go Brian...create a scene and make things more difficult for the next guy.:confused:

While I don't pretend to know the rules and regs regarding photography in the terminals, I can't see the point in getting worked up, and working up the person who's asked the photographer to stop, instead of just following the directions given.
I don't know about the rest of you, but I like my life to be as trouble, hassle and stress free as possible.

Brian Wilkes 8th April 2008 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel C (Post 2094)
Way to go Brian...create a scene and make things more difficult for the next guy.:confused:

While I don't pretend to know the rules and regs regarding photography in the terminals, I can't see the point in getting worked up, and working up the person who's asked the photographer to stop, instead of just following the directions given.
I don't know about the rest of you, but I like my life to be as trouble, hassle and stress free as possible.

I dont know how YOU handle your self but Many photographers just turn a blind eye to them:rolleyes: