Sydney Airport Message Board

Sydney Airport Message Board (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/index.php)
-   Flying and Technical Discussion (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Journey's end for Flight Simulator (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=2565)

Greg McDonald 4th March 2009 07:56 AM

I'd be interested to know what level of hardware all you FSX simmers user. I've never been able to get it to run with a decent frame rate on my PC. I'm just about to upgrade and would like to know what specs I should be looking for. Any help is appreciated.

Ahmet H 4th March 2009 08:42 AM

I run FSX on my HP DV9000 laptop, 1.83Ghz Dual Core, 2GB Ram, 512MB Graphics. When I first got the laptop it worked a treat on full settings, now I have to tone it down ever so slightly to get it to run perfectly.

I get around it though by plugging the laptop into my Samsung 32' LCD TV with the HDMI cable then put all setting on high and it works with no problems.

Dan Collins 4th March 2009 08:51 AM

Just bought my new computer, and it runs FSX pretty decently, but slows down in 'busier' airports or scenery areas. Planning to get some of the expansion packs etc for Sydney and stuff. Not happy with the default scenery, particularly there is a house on the side of the taxiway to Rwy 34L, and in a B747-400 your wing will hit it!

Started playing around with adding some new planes etc too, mostly Project OpenSky ones for the moment. Anyone have any other good recommendations? Also thinking of adding World of AI packages.

Anyway, system is:

Vista Home Premium 64 bit
Pentium 8200 Quad Core
4GB Ram
Radeon 4850 Graphics Card (512MB)
Acer 24" P244WB Monitor
XClio A380 Case (Just had to mention :P)
FSX is installed on a dedicated 1TB HDD.

Running most settings at Ultra High with Light bloom and 1920x1080 res.

Loving it! Even with the slight lagginess here and there.

Dan

Gerard M 4th March 2009 03:11 PM

I only got FSX at the end of last year and i quite like it.
But i have question for anyone that knows, i'm using it on my laptop mostly because I go out to bathurst to uni , but when i try open cargo doors or something along those lines, SHIFT + E + 2, never works, it only opens the main exits along with opening up something like the GPS window?

Anyone know how to get it to work?

Thanks

Gerard

Zac M 4th March 2009 04:08 PM

Shift + E and then 2, not at the same time:D

Gerard M 4th March 2009 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zac M (Post 23387)
Shift + E and then 2, not at the same time:D

Ha, ok thanks Zac. It all makes sense now!!!

Tim Bowrey 4th March 2009 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerard M (Post 23381)
I only got FSX at the end of last year and i quite like it.
But i have question for anyone that knows, i'm using it on my laptop mostly because I go out to bathurst to uni , but when i try open cargo doors or something along those lines, SHIFT + E + 2, never works, it only opens the main exits along with opening up something like the GPS window?

Anyone know how to get it to work?

Thanks

Gerard

Hey Gerard,

Some aircraft have them and others dont. If yours does, Hold shift and E at the same time then when it says "Main Exit Opening" quickly press number 2(which is the "@" symbol above the letters of the keyboard) and press 3 too and you might open another door.

Closing them is the same process but you need to view the aircraft from the outside to make sure they do close.

Hope I have helped.

Too quick Zac!:D

Gerard M 4th March 2009 04:15 PM

Thanks Tim,

Everywhere i read it i saw it as press them all at the same time. I'd try it now but if i start playing now ill never come back to the assignment thats driving me up the wall. I'll let you know if it doesn't work.
Thanks heaps!

Gerard

Russell D 5th March 2009 09:02 AM

I bought my laptop for uni but intentionally found one with specs so that I could run FSX at least better than running it on my older desktop (which seems to have a heart-attack everytime i had tried to play it :p)

I run the game with everything on maximum settings and it work really fine, with only minimal lag as someone mentioned earlier at some of the large/busier airports.

I normally average at least 23fps while moving on the ground and about 35+fps when stationary on ground or in the air.

My specs:
HP DV5-1139TX
Intel Core 2 Duo T9400 2.53GHz 6mb L2 Cache 1066MHz FBUS
4GB DDR2 RAM (although only 3GB is being actively used due to my 32bit Windows Home Premium :(
512MB GeForce 9600M graphics
15.4" display

Ahmet, does the game quality improve my playing it on a TV screen?? (i have a 43" Plasma that I might try it out on)

Cheers

David Knudsen 5th March 2009 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell D (Post 23441)

Ahmet, does the game quality improve my playing it on a TV screen?? (i have a 43" Plasma that I might try it out on)

I'd say any performance gain in plugging it into a LCD/Plasma TV would be because of the reduced resolution - most LCD's/Plasmas will only accept PC input at 1366x768.