Sydney Airport Message Board

Sydney Airport Message Board (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/index.php)
-   Australia and New Zealand Industry (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   5 new Virgin Blue routes (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=2473)

Michael Morrison 12th February 2009 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthur T (Post 21806)

Good work on DJ, keep going. No Comments of its new CBR service to Hobart, but again, Lord Howe Island needs you.Please use one of your E170s to operate Sydney - Lord Howe Island, thanks.

I don't think Lord Howe has any plans to extend their runway so doubt you will see an E Jet there - not unless they get floaties for the wheels :eek:

Justin L 12th February 2009 09:44 AM

Understanably, the Townsville press is happy. Have a look at the article in the link below and the half page route map on the front page. A welcome respite from flood news in the region I'm sure.

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au...75_hpnews.html

As a destination, I personally prefer TSV over CNS. I hope the new routes serve TSV well. With cheaper fares, it may also encourage regional QLD people to travel to TSV for NRL Cowboys games and A-League Fury games. And also for Gold Coast vs North Queensland derbies in both cities for both codes.

Marty H 12th February 2009 11:56 AM

Isnt there also the Townsville Crocs NBL team??? I know DJ have the NBL/WNBL contracts.

Justin L 12th February 2009 12:42 PM

Yes, there is a Townsville Crocs team in the NBL. I didn't mention it as comparitvely less people would travel for an away NBL game. The football codes are more "tribal" in that respect I suppose. But for the movement of NBL players and officials (and some fans) for the Cairns and Gold Coast games also it would help for sure.

D Chan 14th February 2009 11:37 PM

Quote:

Think routes from Townsville to rest of Queensland would work, things like TSV - CNS is pretty much dominated by QF now, and is operating like 4x Daily

Is the runway long enough?

Nigel C 15th February 2009 12:11 AM

TSV main rwy is 2438, CNS is 3196.

Daniel M 15th February 2009 05:44 AM

Quote:

No Comments of its new CBR service to Hobart, but again, Lord Howe Island needs you.Please use one of your E170s to operate Sydney - Lord Howe Island, thanks.

Very much doubt Lord Howe Island will see any other operators, let alone Virgin Blue. They have a limit as to how many people can stay on the island and only a limited amount of accomodation, so Qantas have the route to themselves pretty much. Not to mention, as Michael said, the fact that the runway is ridiculously short :)

Al.B.SYD 15th February 2009 06:34 AM

Quote:

Think routes from Townsville to rest of Queensland would work, things like TSV - CNS is pretty much dominated by QF now, and is operating like 4x Daily.

Instead of Canberra's new services, it would be interesting to see DJ is expanding TSV rather than CNS. CNS is kinda an international port with lots of commutors from around the world transit in CNS to rest of Tropical Queensland.

Wouldn't be better to expand CNS rather than TSV?

TSV is the "capital" of Nth Qld with Governmental, Defence and other related businesses, so Corp/Business travel would likely show much more promise from TSV than CNS, which is still predominantly leisure.
Whether it's actually the right time to be chasing Corp is another matter.

The Embraers were made for these sort of services, as the carriers in Nth Am that operate them can attest to. Provides "big plane" service/comfort, but with the numbers that make these leaner routes work and work well for the most part.

Hugh Jarse 16th February 2009 07:36 AM

E-Jet to LHI? Why I Laugh:-)

The E-170 will not "fit" into a 785m strip :)

Will T 16th February 2009 07:54 AM

Exactly, Hugh. One of the big questions remains what QLink will do with LHI once the 200 series Dash8's reach their use-by date, as they're really the only 36-ish seat equipment up to the mission.