Sydney Airport Message Board

Sydney Airport Message Board (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/index.php)
-   Spotting and Movements (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   World Youth Day - What Aircraft Can We Expect? (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=483)

Sarah C 21st July 2008 07:32 PM

Lovely shots Tim - that was almost the perfect spot for rotation for anyone at the mound.

Mark Harrington 21st July 2008 07:32 PM

I must admit it was quite a surprise seeing a QF744 depart from Darwin this afternoon!

Tim Bowrey 21st July 2008 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Harrington (Post 8953)
I must admit it was quite a surprise seeing a QF744 depart from Darwin this afternoon!

I bet! Youd only get 767 Qantas and smaller i'd asume aswel as some other Air Force jets. Do you have any photos?

Tim

Nigel C 21st July 2008 09:44 PM

From what I've seen, the only carrier that turned up for WYD that isn't a regular was the NorthWest B742. All the rest are either additional flights or charters from the carriers that we already get.

Somewhat of a fizzer for the spotters I would imagine.

Tim Bowrey 21st July 2008 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel C (Post 8957)
From what I've seen, the only carrier that turned up for WYD that isn't a regular was the NorthWest B742. All the rest are either additional flights or charters from the carriers that we already get.

Somewhat of a fizzer for the spotters I would imagine.

Yeah too right Nigel. We got like the extra couple of Mauritious services and a few NZ744's like today 2 744's and one 777 arrived. I was kind of expecting almost a mini APEC but no military but more different airlines like Manchester got with the Champions League. But anyway, it was better than nothing;)

Tim

lloyd fox 22nd July 2008 08:21 AM

I believe 4 factors influenced the lack of charters and different carriers

1/ Lesser number of pilgrims than originally expected.

2/High cost of fuel for say L1011 operators which were expected

3/Most importantly airlines dont like to take their aircraft out of service for too long and in this case where the event went for a week -no way.
In case of soccer finals aircraft are usually in and out within 24 hrs and sometimes same day therefore reducing any loss of income which would have occurred if the aircraft parked for a week.

4/a huge lead in time allowing the pilgrims to book on scheduled flights a long time out.

PS PX operted a few 763 flights as well.

Cheers Lloyd

Mark Harrington 22nd July 2008 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Bowrey (Post 8956)
I bet! Youd only get 767 Qantas and smaller i'd asume aswel as some other Air Force jets. Do you have any photos?

Tim

Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me.:mad: Darwin got some interesting traffic during pitch black, lots of fighters and 707's etc. We also get a North American 767 every so often.

There are two B52's parked in the Military area, due to depart today too. I'll try and have my camera on me for them!

Philip Argy 22nd July 2008 07:31 PM

Your last chance for a WYD08 memento

If you've got some spare cash and missed a photo, here's a chance to get your hands on a unique memento in Mystic White livery:

http://carsguide.news.com.au/site/mo...sguide_com_au/

:D

John Thoroughgood 22nd July 2008 08:07 PM

Hi Tim. Nice to meet you, and congratulations on your good work yesterday. Fine shots you posted.
Another pair of Air Mauritius in today, as the pilgrims continued to disperse.

Tim Bowrey 24th July 2008 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Thoroughgood (Post 8984)
Hi Tim. Nice to meet you, and congratulations on your good work yesterday. Fine shots you posted.
Another pair of Air Mauritius in today, as the pilgrims continued to disperse.

Yeah nice to meet and spot with you John. Take a look at my photos if you'd like in my signature below. None quite up from that day though yet.

Tim