Sydney Airport Message Board

Sydney Airport Message Board (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/index.php)
-   Australia and New Zealand Industry (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New Virgin Blue CEO is announced! (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=5003)

Will H 2nd March 2010 06:55 AM

New Virgin Blue CEO is announced!

Virgin Blue has just issued an alert for a conference at 11am this morning in Sydney for a "a significant announcement for the Virgin Blue Airlines Group".

Neil Chatfield, Chairman, Virgin Blue Holdings Limited, will hold the conference. Most past conferences are billed as being held with CEO Brett Godfrey.
http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/wi...-imminent.html

Both the Oz and Fairfax expect John Borghetti to land the post.

BradR 2nd March 2010 08:14 AM

It will be John Borghetti (formerly Head of Operations at Qantas under Geoff Dixon). I assume the announcement has been brought forward following the leaking of this to The Australian today.

Michael Mak 2nd March 2010 08:32 AM

Announcement: http://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/2010030...177rc52cdq.pdf

Matt Coughran 2nd March 2010 08:36 AM

http://australianaviation.com.au/bor...be-new-vb-ceo/

Quote:

Former Qantas executive general manager John Borghetti has been appointed the new CEO of Virgin Blue effective May 8, succeeding the retiring Brett Godfrey.
“We are delighted to have John join us,” Virgin Blue Holdings Limited chairman Neil Chatfield said in a March 2 statement. “He is a highly regarded executive with deep aviation experience and insights, proven strategic capabilities, and strong marketing credentials. Nobody knows the market better and he is passionate about the aviation business.”
The highly respected Borghetti, 54, left Qantas in May 2008 after he was passed over for the Qantas CEO role in preference to Alan Joyce. His 36 year career say him work in a range of commercial, sales and marketing positions, culminating in six years as executive general manager Qantas, in charge of network operations, scheduling and pricing, sales and marketing, crew, customer service, product and brand.
“It’s a great business with a great team and great culture – you can feel the energy in the people and the brand,” Borghetti said in a statement. “The company is in good shape and is exceptionally well placed to build on its strengths and embrace revenue growth opportunities ahead. I look forward to working with the team to create an even more competitive environment for air travellers – domestic and international.”
With his move to Virgin Blue, Borghetti will step down from his current directorships of Piper Aircraft and Investec Global Aircraft Fund.

Andrew P 2nd March 2010 01:12 PM

Qanats CFO resigns

THE QANTAS Group is looking for a new chief financial officer after the surprise resignation today of Colin Storrie less than 18 months in the job.

Commenting on his resignation, Mr Storrie said he had made the decision reluctantly.

wonder what the true story is, will never know probably

Banjo

Karl M 2nd March 2010 03:24 PM

Wonder what Borghetti will get for his company car now? Another Porcshe 911?:D
Or something low cost?

lloyd fox 2nd March 2010 04:04 PM

I dont know about his car but he will get JOB SATISFACTION.

Steve Jones 2nd March 2010 04:34 PM

To me it is a big signal about where Virgin wants to go. Borghetti was very focussed on product and product quality when he was at Qantas, and I think it signals the fact that Virgin will continue its push upmarket, the expansion of V Australia etc.

Given that Virgin is set for a brand revamp (or even more than that) this year, I couldn't think of a better person to have at the helm.

lloyd fox 2nd March 2010 04:56 PM

Well Andrew, Virgin think he is worth the top job and Qantas didnt !!!.

Regardless of the facts or excuses that is the fine line he is the NO 1 man and i think he would be very happy about that.

Cheers Lloyd

Craig Murray 2nd March 2010 06:30 PM

This is an excellent appointment and certainly good news for the Virgin Blue group of companies. He has an immense knowledge of the local industry and is similarly well versed on foreign operators and markets.

I suspect that the Virgin Blue of the future will be a little different to the Virgin Blue we know today. Is this a good thing? I dare say it will be.

lloyd fox 2nd March 2010 06:32 PM

He was just on the news and looked extremely happy.

Yes we all started as mail boys or girls back in the 70's that is how it was done those days and yes most of us only had a handful of jobs or less in our working lifetime.

However staying in 1 job for 36 years was and is a major achievement.I only made 29 years myself.

D Chan 2nd March 2010 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew (Post 43111)
He must of been satisfied considering he was in the same company for 36 years starting in the mail room...Maybe he was not satisfied with the future...

I think it must have been an irresistible for him to be offered a role in an Australian airline and also a chance to go against the man who beat him to the top job at Qantas. Very interesting times ahead

Kurt A 2nd March 2010 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lloyd fox (Post 43126)
He was just on the news and looked extremely happy.

Yep, I'd say that's a pretty genuine smile :D

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...tuff/jb_vb.jpg

Michael Morrison 3rd March 2010 12:32 AM

I certainly think Borghetti has more talent with the industry than Toomey!

lloyd fox 3rd March 2010 07:53 AM

http://www.abc.net.au/news/video/2010/03/03/2834767.htm

Harry G 3rd March 2010 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Jones (Post 43114)
To me it is a big signal about where Virgin wants to go. Borghetti was very focussed on product and product quality when he was at Qantas, and I think it signals the fact that Virgin will continue its push upmarket, the expansion of V Australia etc.

Given that Virgin is set for a brand revamp (or even more than that) this year, I couldn't think of a better person to have at the helm.

would totally agree here.......
Virgin wants a greater slice of the business travel market and the lucrative government contracts...a comment substantiated by Godfrey several weeks ago wherein he said that if Virgin do not get a greater slice of the government/business marker following tenders, they will at least bring down the margins QF makes in this market - a win/win he said.....
The International market........ certainly one would think that VA will grow under Borghetti and will certainly take on QF in this area but you also have to remember, JQ have recruited agressively recently and they grw under Alan Joyce so maybe VA might not get it all their own way.....

Colin Storrie leaving QF??
I think maybe we should read between the lines......
Paper today reported that Borghetti had his own hand picked team when he was with QF - you would have to rightly assume he will do the same here - no doubt there will be a lot more Borghetti supporters reading to fly the coup.

BradR 3rd March 2010 09:12 AM

Strange to see Borghetti without a tie. He used to be a very snappy dresser in a Zegna suit. I assume he has now thrown away all of his ties and is heading down to Country Road for some casual chinos and some sports coats.

I agree that he will be a good acquisition for DJ particularly if it wants to improve its offering to business and government. I guess the fine line he has to walk is growing the business without losing too many customers off the bottom to Jetstar and Tiger.

I wouldn't expect DJ to morph into a full-service airline and instead to keep a lot of its user pays services. Godfrey has intimated that they were going to fiddle with their Y+ product so you can expect some change here but I wouldn't expect it to turn into the type of product VX currently offers in First Class (apparently excellent) unless there is substantial proof that they can fill these seats throughout the day, not just a peak times between MEL and SYD.

Andrew McLaughlin 3rd March 2010 09:41 AM

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p..._AMcL_3_sm.jpg

Jack B 3rd March 2010 12:40 PM

Could this be the start of a big change in the Australian airline industry? Looks like it could be...

Andrew P 3rd March 2010 12:50 PM

if it needs Virgin Blue to get a new CEO to effect a a big change in the Australian airline industry shows how inept the current management is!!

They should have done it already

Banjo

ps and I don't believe the current management is inept

Greg McDonald 3rd March 2010 02:41 PM

AS an aside, VBA share price is up 5.5% today also....

Michael Mak 3rd March 2010 03:18 PM

8.6% at $0.695 now.

Matthew Chisholm 3rd March 2010 05:21 PM

Wheres Godfrey going ?

BradR 3rd March 2010 07:21 PM

I believe he hasn't announced anything. He would be quite wealthy following given the shares in VBA and Toll he has accumulated over the journey. He will probably look to becoming a director on company boards. I'd expect that a board membership on something like Virgin Group is a certainty.

Grant Smith 4th March 2010 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Chisholm (Post 43164)
Wheres Godfrey going ?

I've heard the esteemed Messrs Hoover & Dyson are in talks...

Anthony T 4th March 2010 04:32 AM

Very amusing Grant. :D

Nigel C 4th March 2010 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grant Smith (Post 43176)
I've heard the esteemed Messrs Hoover & Dyson are in talks...

Flag making?

Stefan I 4th March 2010 06:16 PM

The appointment has certainly created a positive response out there in the aviation cyber world. Another discussion board site that is renowned for tearing those in the industry to pieces has been nothing but non-stop praise for the man and the appointment. I think 36 years loyalty at management level to the one employer in this day and age says it all. Looking good !

Rick K 4th March 2010 06:51 PM

Certainly superb for (us) shareholders!!
Now 71.5c (Mine cost 19c average after 1 for 1)

Good work all round and seems to be a very good replacement for a very good incumbent!

Only time will tell but , maybe, Qantas will start to look after its customers and shareholders instead of treating them like numbers!

Bluex

Geoff W 4th March 2010 09:03 PM

I have had reason to communicate with JB several years back.

He was excellent.

Cannot say any thing else than it is a great appt in my eyes.

Kind regards,

Geoff

Greg McDonald 7th May 2010 04:19 PM

Details of Borghetti's remuneration are available now via the ASX website. Click on PDF from this link. Wish I was on his package!!!!!!

http://www.asx.com.au/asx/statistics...ame=D&period=T

Brad M 7th May 2010 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg McDonald (Post 46343)
Wish I was on his package!!!!!!

i'd Rather his salary :D:D

Greg McDonald 9th May 2010 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam C (Post 46390)
Superb call Brad... :D:D:D

You like a big package do ya Greg??

Nuffin like a big package I've always said..........

Harry G 10th May 2010 11:48 AM

becoming more evident DJ aligning itself with the business market - believe they are currently or are planning tendering on government contracts...
budget also noted pollies are being stripped of FF points and perhaps business lounge priveleges..... this will cost QF a few dollars and with the travel agents belting QF for more commish by the courts, QF may get a little worried........ and with TT expanding JQ may start to feel the pinch......
I am sure the experts will add to this