Sydney Airport Message Board

Sydney Airport Message Board (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/index.php)
-   Flying and Technical Discussion (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   On Board Air Force One (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=2318)

Joseph Saragozza. 21st January 2009 02:35 PM

On Board Air Force One

national geographic channel is showcasing episodes on on board air fore and marine one

* On Board Air Force One Jan 25 8P et
* On Board Marine One Jan 25 9P et
* On Board Air Force One Jan 28 8P et
* On Board Marine One Jan 28 9P et

but these are only in the states. dose anybody know when this will be televised in Australia.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...w#tab-Overview

thanks

Adam T 22nd January 2009 09:57 AM

I didn't know they where allowed to show the inside of AF1 for security reasons. I too would love to see this, the only image in my head of what it would look like is the set from the 1997 movie with Harrison Ford LOL

Mick F 22nd January 2009 10:03 AM

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=C-MaU_...eature=related

Gareth Forwood 22nd January 2009 10:05 AM

I remember seeing a national geographic doco on dvd years ago about Air Force One (I know it's available at some Blockbuster stores for rent). It was quite interesting, but very much an overview. Hopefully this one will be a bit more in depth.

Mick, thanks for the vid, very interesting.

On another note, has Obama given any indication on if and when he'll visit Australia?

Bernie P 22nd January 2009 10:22 AM

Here is another video clip of it as well...

Also, and I hope this works, a DIRECT link here!

Andrew P 22nd January 2009 02:06 PM

the clip I saw yesterday on CNN showed the presidential bed which was obvious in the nose section

showed 2 single beds, at slight angel

Banjo

must have had to move them when Clinton was no1

Montague S 23rd January 2009 07:45 AM

fantastic video, as I understand it the person who was co-pilot for Bush, is now the pilot of President Obama.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...ab-interactive

Montague S 26th January 2009 12:29 PM

anyone DV-R it or anything like that?

Grant Smith 26th January 2009 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montague S (Post 20277)
fantastic video, as I understand it the person who was co-pilot for Bush, is now the pilot of President Obama.

This would tie in well as the pilot retired after dropping the Bush's back to Texas.. They had a bit of a farewell party for him in the hanger at Andrews AFB before the flight departed..

Mal M 27th January 2009 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montague S (Post 20445)
anyone DV-R it or anything like that?

there are copies of On Board Air Force One out there available. Can't find Marine one though.

Pat Stevens 27th January 2009 10:08 PM

Yep, both 'On Board Air Force One' and 'On Board Marine One' are both available for download if you know where to look :)

Joseph Saragozza. 29th January 2009 10:03 AM

would you like to give us a hint? ;)

Pat Stevens 29th January 2009 11:52 AM

Best not to discuss exact locations due to legalities on the forum. Let's just say that Google is your best friend.

Rhys Xanthis 3rd June 2009 12:03 AM

Just like to let everyone know that this doco will be airing on National Geographic Australia on June 21st.

No time as yet, but expect 2030 EST.

Gerard M 3rd June 2009 12:11 AM

Looks like its one for the foxtel planner!
Thanks for the heads up Rhys.

Rhys Xanthis 10th June 2009 11:38 PM

You guys will also be happy to know that Marine One documentary is also on the same day (back to back, I assume).

Gerard M 26th June 2009 12:37 AM

After all that advance notice, i forgot to watch it! hears hoping for a re-run some time soon. :rolleyes:
Did anyone watch it and care to share if it was worthwhile watching?

Cheers
Gerard

Phillippe M 26th June 2009 07:23 AM

Hey Gerard,
I downloaded it a couple of months ago and found it really good to watch.
Phillippe

Gerard M 28th June 2009 01:42 PM

Just finished watching it then after i found it in the On demand list. Not exactly what i expected but was pretty good i thought. Loved it how on the secret trip they changed everything to appear as a Gulfstream. How would they have changed it to appear as a Gulfstream on the screens and not a 747?

David N 7th August 2009 08:42 PM

Hi,

This will be on Monday 10th at 7:30,
Although I have seen a few AF1 docos before, I have not seen this one, I will have to see what you were talking about Gerard re the Gulfstream.

Does the full eppisode go for 45 minutes, as this will on TV next week?

I hope Channel 7 continue the theme the following week with Marine One as I have only seen a 4 minute trailer of it and have not been able to find the full eppisode to download.

David

Karl M 8th August 2009 11:27 AM

Watched both of these a few weeks ago, & both were quite good.

Yes, that secret mission is in the AF1 episode is really quite interesting.
Just show what the US government can get away with!:D

Gerard M 8th August 2009 12:13 PM

Only just got away with it...they nearly got sprung halfway there :p I actually thought that the Marine 1 episode was more interesting than the Air Force 1 one. Im still wondering though wouldn't the ATC controllers need to know what sort of a/c it is to deal with turbulence and separation and all that?

Mick F 8th August 2009 02:12 PM

It's very simple Gerard. You just put on your flight plan that it's a Gulfstream, not a 747.

Anyone can get away with it, but unless you're someone like that, I wouldn't recommend trying it, :cool:.

Mick

David N 10th August 2009 09:01 PM

As mentioned on the program and countless times on a number of forums

The Call Sign Air Force One does not happen unit the President steps on board, so I’m wondering why it was used when requesting a comm. check prior to his arrival?

I was really hoping that Marine One would be aired, does anyone know where
I can watch the full episode online?
Not looking for a sly download...

Thanks
David

Montague S 10th August 2009 09:12 PM

seen it before, Obama isn't on the 747 at all in that doco...pretty sure its the 757.

Adam G 10th August 2009 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick F (Post 32825)
It's very simple Gerard. You just put on your flight plan that it's a Gulfstream, not a 747.

Anyone can get away with it, but unless you're someone like that, I wouldn't recommend trying it, :cool:.

Mick

Depends actually on how you're submitting the flight plan. NAIPs for example identifies if the aircraft type & rego don't match & won't allow you to submit - try submitting your PC12 as a B747 tomorrow for fun and you'll see :)

Philip Argy 11th August 2009 01:48 AM

Landing gear hydraulics

In Baghdad they needed to replace a nut missing from the hydraulics on one of the main landing gear struts. I thought it was odd that the local engineer said that none of his 747s had that fitting and then they began a global search.

So where did they get the replacement part considering they were only on the ground for 2 hours? Did it come from the second aircraft that was waiting in an 'undisclosed location' (presumably Turkey)?

Bob C 11th August 2009 04:30 AM

Hi Philip

Was that Baghdad or on a previous trip to the Middle East when AF1 landed at Tel Aviv first and went elsewhere from there ? AF1 arrived in the dark in Baghdad whereas the segment about the missing nut showed AF1 on the ground in daylight ?

I too thought it odd and presumed that as Air Force 1 is a -200 series that might explain why the locals didn't have the part as perhaps theirs were -400s and possibly different.

And I got the impression that AF1 departed without the part being obtained but the program wasn't really clear on that point.

damien b 11th August 2009 05:25 AM

The missing nut was discovered in Kuwait on an earlier visit. The presidential 747's are 200 series aircraft. Overall a good program.

Philip Argy 11th August 2009 06:46 AM

OK - Kuwait

OK - perhaps it was Kuwait, but where did they get the replacement nut from, and why would that component have changed from the 200 series? Has the main gear steering system changed?

Philip Argy 11th August 2009 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montague S (Post 32886)
seen it before, Obama isn't on the 747 at all in that doco...pretty sure it's the 757.

So you're suggesting that when they picked up Obama in Chicago that was a 757? He wasn't the President yet so it's plausible. I think the way it was edited the pilot swapover occurred on the 747 after the inauguration so that was certainly Air Force One once Obama came aboard as President.

Craig Murray 11th August 2009 02:13 PM

In the documentary the President Elect certainly was picked up by a USAF C-32A (757-200). The blended winglet was clearly visible as Mr Obama was boarding the aircraft.

Montague S 11th August 2009 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Argy (Post 32900)
So you're suggesting that when they picked up Obama in Chicago that was a 757?

unless AF1 has grown winglets, its most certainly not the 747...the cabin is too narrow and the main entry door was narrow too.