Sydney Airport Message Board

Sydney Airport Message Board (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/index.php)
-   Australia and New Zealand Industry (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   First Qantas A380 In Service By October (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=604)

Ben O 12th May 2008 08:50 AM

First Qantas A380 In Service By October

http://www.news.com.au/business/stor...-14334,00.html

Quote:

Qantas A380 in service by October

IT was up, up and away for the flying kangaroo's new super jet yesterday as Qantas Airlines' first Airbus A380 effortlessly climbed into the skies above the French city of Toulouse, en route to an interior fitout in Germany.

The double-decker A380, which has a wingspan almost as large as a football field, will be named Nancy Bird Walton after the sprightly 92-year-old aviatrix.

After an incident-free two-hour flight and a near perfect touchdown at Hamburg on the Elbe River in northern Germany, the latest version of the world's biggest airliner was rolled into a hangar for its cabin fitout.

With the seats, galleys and the entertainment system to be installed, the 560-tonne jetliner next moves into a paint hangar where its appearance will change from bare metal green to the red and white livery of our national carrier.

Two weeks later, A380-01 is scheduled to return to Toulouse, the French headquarters of Airbus, where Qantas pilots and engineers will begin acceptance trials before it leaves for Australia in August. By October it is expected to be flying from Melbourne to Los Angeles.

The jet can carry 850 passengers but Qantas is likely to reconfigure the plane to seat just 500 to give extra space.

Qantas executive general manager John Borghetti, who was in Hamburg with his A380 project team to inspect and approve the interior fitout, said the finished product exceeded expectations.
"And my expectations were pretty high," he said.

Airbus also has given Qantas a rock-solid guarantee it will deliver by December all three of the first batch of 20 A380s that have been ordered.

After that there will be a brief delay of several weeks which could affect the arrival date of the fourth aircraft. The Franco-German company says the review is needed to conduct further tests of the A380 assembly systems.

However engineers at Hamburg said that before beginning the process they wanted to deliver the first wave of aircraft which had suffered a two-year delay due to software problems.

Philip Argy 12th May 2008 09:03 AM

With A380-01 doing the MEL-LAX run, what routes will A380-02 and 03 operate? I assume the Pacific and Kangaroo routes, but does anyone have authoritative info?

Ben O 12th May 2008 09:09 AM

It takes around 2 aircraft to complete a daily MEL-LAX service.

So I would say the first 4 or so aircraft will be used for 1x daily MEL-LAX-MEL and 1x daily SYD-LAX-SYD service.

Montague S 12th May 2008 09:18 AM

according to these images the interior has been installed.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/gal...6020-2,00.html

that economy green is disgusting! the business class looks cheap and first class looks more like a new business class.

pardon my harshness but the fitout looks terrible.

Ben O 12th May 2008 09:24 AM

Quote:

that economy green is disgusting!
I thought it was supposed to be RED! as per other pics and the updated B744 interiors......

Montague S 12th May 2008 09:37 AM

well its clearly green so maybe the red is for the economy plus section? there is some red in pictures 5 & 6, perhaps upper & lower deck have a mix of colours?

Philip Argy 12th May 2008 09:44 AM

Hmm - the fitout captions in the Herald Sun pics don't look right to me - I wonder if those pics are old and taken of a mock up cabin. If A380-01 has only just arrived in Hamburg for its fitout it's unlikely these photos are from that aircraft already fitted out but if they are I have to agree with others that it's a little disappointing.

Montague S 12th May 2008 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Argy (Post 4642)
Hmm - the fitout captions in the Herald Sun pics don't look right to me - I wonder if those pics are old and taken of a mock up cabin. If A380-01 has only just arrived in Hamburg for its fitout it's unlikely these photos are from that aircraft already fitted out but if they are I have to agree with others that it's a little disappointing.

or is it a case of just getting the news now but it actually occurred a while back? would they have a full size A380 mock cabin? looks like a lot of seats for a mock up.

if its not the real deal then we know what to expect.

Philip Argy 12th May 2008 10:11 AM

Here's what Qantas says on its own website, although this must be a little while back as it was still assuming an August 2008 service commencement:
http://www.qantas.com.au/info/about/company/A380text

Philip Argy 12th May 2008 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montague S (Post 4643)
or is it a case of just getting the news now but it actually occurred a while back? ....

The news story is time stamped 12 May 2008 at "12.00 am" (which I don't think is a time that technically exists!) but then says

"IT was up, up and away for the flying kangaroo's new super jet yesterday as Qantas Airlines' first Airbus A380 effortlessly climbed into the skies above the French city of Toulouse, en route to an interior fitout in Germany" (my emphasis)

so I don't think it can be old news. That must mean that the pics accompanying the story are not of the fitout as installed in A380-01, even though I agree that the pics seem to show a lot of seats wherever they were taken.

Michael Morrison 12th May 2008 12:07 PM

"Qantas executive general manager John Borghetti, who was in Hamburg with his A380 project team to inspect and approve the interior fitout, said the finished product exceeded expectations.
"And my expectations were pretty high," he said.

Seems like one is in Hamburg and another is about to go there.

The interiors definately looks real to me - and it looks stale and disappointing.

Greg McDonald 12th May 2008 12:30 PM

That green looks disgusting!!!

Paul C. 12th May 2008 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg McDonald (Post 4660)
That green looks disgusting!!!

I know. Its like an undercoat paint to help protect the metal on the aircraft's fuselage or something like that. That will be painted over with 5 coats of white paint followed by the QANTAS titles. Will be registred VH-OQA.

Mick F 12th May 2008 12:42 PM

How can Qantas call themselves a first grade airline when they come out with such disappointing interiors like that?

You only have to look at Singapore Airline's A380 interior to realise that Qantas' interior is nothing short of disgusting.

Mick

Montague S 12th May 2008 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul C. (Post 4662)
I know. Its like an undercoat paint to help protect the metal on the aircraft's fuselage or something like that. That will be painted over with 5 coats of white paint followed by the QANTAS titles. Will be registred VH-OQA.

I think he is talking about the green economy seats... :rolleyes:

Greg McDonald 12th May 2008 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montague S (Post 4664)
I think he is talking about the green economy seats... :rolleyes:

I was...but the idea of painting the seats another colour has merit:D

Ben O 12th May 2008 01:08 PM

It seems one of the economy zones will be green with the other ones red.

Lachlan H 12th May 2008 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Argy (Post 4648)
The news story is time stamped 12 May 2008 at "12.00 am" (which I don't think is a time that technically exists!) but then says

"IT was up, up and away for the flying kangaroo's new super jet yesterday as Qantas Airlines' first Airbus A380 effortlessly climbed into the skies above the French city of Toulouse, en route to an interior fitout in Germany" (my emphasis)

so I don't think it can be old news. That must mean that the pics accompanying the story are not of the fitout as installed in A380-01, even though I agree that the pics seem to show a lot of seats wherever they were taken.

Qf first A380 flew to TLS in january didnt it :confused: Pretty sure....and i dont think its a mock up, because the steps that Mark Newson or whatever his name is standing on have lighting in them and such, makes me think there real. As well as this comment on the photo

Quote:

With the seats, galleys and the entertainment system now installed, the 560 tonne jetliner moves next to a paint hangar where its appearance will change from bare metal green to the red and white livery of our national carrier. This is the first class section of the plane.
of the first class seats

And yes, those green seats look disgusting!!!:eek:

But if you look at the photo of the woman standing at the bar, you can see the seats in fron of her are a burnt orange colour....looks like its going to out date quick!

Grant Smith 12th May 2008 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lachlan H (Post 4673)
But if you look at the photo of the woman standing at the bar, you can see the seats in fron of her are a burnt orange colour....looks like its going to out date quick!

You can see that better in the picture before that one (number 5 - I believe)

Rhys Xanthis 12th May 2008 03:00 PM

First looks crap and looks like there isnt much room.

Business looks good, i like th layout.

Whoever chose green should go sit on the wing of first flight to think about what they have done.

That said, it will grow on us im sure, but GREEN. FFS WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH QANTAS/AUSTRALIA!!!

Lachlan H 12th May 2008 03:16 PM

Quote:

QANTAS Airlines' first A380 super jumbo reflects a distinctly Australian image, with furnishings reflecting the hues of our native landscape.

On show are the reds of the soil in the outback, the burnt amber of ripening wheat, the green of coastal pastures, the chocolate of the mountains and the taupe tones of our endless coast.

With a costly two-year construction delay over, the plane left Toulouse for Hamburg on an incident-free two-hour flight with a near perfect touchdown beside the Elbe river.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...84-664,00.html

Montague S 12th May 2008 03:19 PM

if I wanted a sample of the Australian landscape on my flight I'd drive out east and bottle some to take with me, I don't get how they think anyone could deduce that they are trying to reflect our landscape, soil, wheat and god knows what else with that revolting mix of colours.

chocolate of the mountain, I mean this isn't the ****ing Himalaya's here, this is for the most part a rather flat landscape.

Sarah C 12th May 2008 03:26 PM

I saw the pics too and the word that sprang to mind - awful. The green looks terrible and the whole interior is a dissapointment. At least the red in Y in the current 747's actually looks OK.

Newson is very overrated with his design and his colours. I don't care how many awards he has won, the fact other airlines come out with much better designs constantly can't be ignored.

Bernie P 12th May 2008 03:26 PM

Am I the ONLY one that likes it, even if only a LITTLE bit... :confused:

Why yes, the colours may represent the colours of Australia, but what does the current blues (from memory, it has been 2 years since flying QF) represent?

And finally, I know that a lot of people are not use to change, be it in the workplace or in forums like this, but cudos to QF for thinking outside the square, and going brave with a colour scheme... :eek:

Montague S 12th May 2008 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah C (Post 4688)

Newson is very overrated with his design and his colours. I don't care how many awards he has won, the fact other airlines come out with much better designs constantly can't be ignored.

never thought I'd see the day when you finally say that Newson is overrated! indeed he is, I string him up and drop him from 38,000 feet for his latest "innovations." if you can call them innovations! skybed isn't really a new innovation but an adaptation of an existing product.

;)

Scott Lindsell 12th May 2008 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah C (Post 4688)
I saw the pics too and the word that sprang to mind - awful. The green looks terrible and the whole interior is a dissapointment. At least the red in Y in the current 747's actually looks OK.

Couldn't agree more, well said Sarah.
I just saw that green and almost threw up in my mouth :eek:

Jamie D 12th May 2008 04:15 PM

i cant get over how cheap and nasty that green looks, all this work and all the waiting, and then the launch of the 744 fitout with red, which is growing on me, and then Qantas go and put this green in there, it looks very LCC to me come to think of it. However i think the interior of JQs A332's even looks much better. And Sarah your comment was well said and i couldnt agree more.. Have a look in the background of the economy photo, you can clearly see red

Sarah C 12th May 2008 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montague S (Post 4690)
never thought I'd see the day when you finally say that Newson is overrated! indeed he is, I string him up and drop him from 38,000 feet for his latest "innovations." if you can call them innovations! skybed isn't really a new innovation but an adaptation of an existing product.

;)

The lFirst Class Lounge is nice but the rest is overrated..........I can't understand why QF pays him so much when his designs are not impressive........

Ben O 12th May 2008 04:16 PM

Maybe the cabins will look better once the head rest covers are added as well as blankets, pillows and other extras etc.

Lets not forget that the green is only in 1 section of the economy cabin.

Marty H 12th May 2008 04:30 PM

Sitting in those 'green' seats for 24hrs on a flight to LHR would be very painful:(

Erik H. Bakke 12th May 2008 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernie P (Post 4689)
Why yes, the colours may represent the colours of Australia, but what does the current blues (from memory, it has been 2 years since flying QF) represent?

The feeling you get when you check your account after paying for the QF ticket?

Montague S 12th May 2008 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik H. Bakke (Post 4698)
The feeling you get when you check your account after paying for the QF ticket?

or the feeling you get when you try & spend your FF points! :D

Todd Milton 12th May 2008 08:18 PM

I am not a fan of the green, The warmer orange and red have a nicer feel about it. I had the same green traymat on my last flight, would serve better as a puke bag personally.

Its no Singapore Airlines A380 fitout but hell, I wouldn't mind travelling on the Qantas version however. Looks half comfortable, aslong as the legroom is not reduced then I would be happy!!

Stephen Brown 12th May 2008 08:48 PM

With that green at least you won't see the vomit stains....

Nick W. 12th May 2008 10:24 PM

The A380 for an airline such as QF has the potential that a large ship has as far as design goes. I like the roo on the staircase, and I can't help but feel it will be a fantastic internal design (as well as external!).

But, as long as we're talking about ships, economy decor reminds me a bit of the lower class in Titanic the movie...

Sarah C 13th May 2008 07:34 AM

It does look like a ship - the whole interior looks so cold and boring. Even Aer Lingus wouldn't put that green through thier cabin.........

The sad part is the airline has no one to blame but themselves if they get a bad reaction. The A380 will be a dissapointment to many passengers - look at the reaction on Airliners.net........it says a lot.

Clarke P 13th May 2008 08:56 AM

Economy looks like a regional CityRail train (the ones that go from Sydney to Wollongong with the ugly old green interior).

Business looks like what they were initially promising in premium economy.

And First looks like a patients chair at a dentist..

I really dislike it. Really, REALLY dislike it. :(

Michael Morrison 13th May 2008 09:03 AM

The colours on their own would be ok.... but against the WHITE of the interior they really do look dull, and souless.....

Now I understand the F lounges etc are now retro cool... but newson missed the mark on the retro colours in this plane.....

Paul McFarlane 13th May 2008 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah C (Post 4729)
The A380 will be a dissapointment to many passengers...

I understand what you (and the majority of others) are saying but for me, flying in the 380 would be a thrill. I couldn't care less if the seats were purple with pink dots (now there's an idea :p). Yes, the sea of green that you see when you walk in is quite overwhelming, but when in your seat and with people occupying the other seats - how bad can it be? But I am just one of those types that enjoy flying for the sake of flying... give me a milk crate and I'll be happy.

Just my thoughts.

Paul.

Montague S 13th May 2008 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul McFarlane (Post 4736)
give me a milk crate and I'll be happy.

http://users.adelphia.net/~javamoose/ROV/images/032.jpg

happy now? :D