Sydney Airport Message Board

Sydney Airport Message Board (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/index.php)
-   Flying and Technical Discussion (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Mist in cabin?? (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=6530)

Adam.S 26th February 2011 03:01 PM

Mist in cabin??

I was recently onboard Jetstar's VH-VGD A320.
This aircraft being only 2 months in service.

While boarding (and for 5 or so minutes after takeoff) there was visible mist/vapour flowing out of the air conditioning outlets(?) located between the overhead compartments and ceiling of the aircraft.

Almost seemed as if there was a 'smoke machine' onboard as the mist was rather dense when it first entered the cabin from out of the air vents.

I am not a regular flyer, however this visible mist is something I have never seen onboard before.

Can anyone explain this vapour?
Is it a standard feature on all recently constructed aircraft?

One theory I had was the warmer outside air mixing with the cooler air flowing out of the air conditioning vents during the boarding process given the front and rear cabin doors were open - resulting in visual condensation?

Just curious.
Thanks
-Adam

Adam W 26th February 2011 03:30 PM

This is normal, not just for new aircraft. You pretty much answered your own question. When the doors are open the cold dry air from the vents mixes with the warm moist air from outside forming the visible condensation.

As a cabin cleaner I see this all the time, particularly during hot and humid weather, something we've had plenty of recently here in Perth.

NeilP 26th February 2011 07:22 PM

This will often happen in my car too... I do quite a bit of long distance driving, and I don't smoke in my car. So when I get back in after having stopped for a quick one (having left the car running, and the air con still on), I get the same thing happening...

Robert S 27th February 2011 11:42 PM

I've seen this often (and in my car too, as Neil says - though I don't leave my car running).

Last time I saw it was on Virgin Atlantic A340s in Hong Kong (and also to a lesser extent here in Sydney) - very intense coming out of the vents, though dissipates well before (seated) head height and does clear up when the cabin air has settled down.

Adam.S 6th March 2011 03:01 PM

Thankyou for your replies and confirmation.

I don't fly often so it came as a surprise to me, although it did look impressive.

Cheers
-Adam

Cam T 9th March 2011 02:34 PM

Can second the appearance during hot & humid weather.

Saw it on almost all my flights when traveling in India.

Darren Butterworth 19th March 2011 06:36 PM

Yep Cam - you notice it the most if you wear eye glasses. I've noticed this on flight, not just in India, China and the middle east to a small extent, but in Perth and Brisbane.

Darren