Sydney Airport Message Board

Sydney Airport Message Board (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/index.php)
-   International Industry (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   MH370 - Missing (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=9854)

David Knudsen 19th March 2014 02:12 PM

I thought an on board fire might have been a possibility, I believe an exact cause was never found for the Egypt Air 777-200ER ground fire in the cockpit that was fed by the crew oxygen?

However I don't see the possibility that the fire was so intense that it disabled acars, transponder and comms (but not the autopilot, or the power to the inmarsat unit that replied to pings), incapacitated the crew and the passengers but then somehow self extinguished and allowed the aircraft to keep on flying for another 6 hours?

That's my two cents on that particular theory anyway.

On a slightly less related note, the Aviation Safety Network posted an interactive map that shows the courses of all 88 aircraft that have disappeared without a trace since 1948 for anyone who missed it.

Grahame Hutchison 20th March 2014 12:23 PM

An interesting Youtube video representation of the satellite arcs.

Montague S 20th March 2014 02:29 PM

MH370 - Missing

Amsa news conference in 5 mins. Believe to be found off WA coast.

Nigel C 20th March 2014 02:53 PM

4 hours flying time from Perth is where they say objects have been located by satellite. An Orion has been in the area since just before 2pm AEDT but visiblity is reported as poor.

Greg Hyde 20th March 2014 03:08 PM

Targets found some 2,000 km off Perth. One supposedly 24m in size

One RAAF Orion currently searching area, Three more a/c (1x RAAF Orion, 1 x RNZAF Orion, 1 x USN Posiden) will keep up a continous search over the target area.

A/c can only search for 2 hrs over target area.

A ship in the area has also been diverted into the target area.

Adrian B 20th March 2014 06:52 PM

Do the Orions have air to air refuelling capabilities? I know the Posidens do.

Stuart Trevena 20th March 2014 07:06 PM

Hi All,

Is the RAAF sending up the KC30A for refuelling duties or for search duties given their range?

Stuart

Bob C 20th March 2014 07:35 PM

Hi Stuart

Probably not because I don't think that the Orions or C130Js have an air-to-air refuelling capability. I'm not sure about the USN P8 Poseidon and presume that it doesn't possess that capability either.

An answer off the top of my head without any research.

Bob C 20th March 2014 07:37 PM

Oops, I didn't see Adrian's post about the P8 and afaik, there are no KC30s in W A assisting in the search effort.

Jon B 20th March 2014 10:02 PM

Not sure about USN P8 but in any event 737 (such as RAAF Wedgetail that can refuel) can only do so once as I recall being told that every 14 hours or so the engines required an oil refill