Sydney Airport Message Board

Sydney Airport Message Board (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/index.php)
-   Australia and New Zealand Industry (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Air NZ/ United Question (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=1998)

Ben W 27th November 2008 02:57 AM

Air NZ/ United Question

I'm traveling ORD-SFO-AKL-MEL next week on United/Air NZ and was wondering if anyone knew if we need to collect luggage in SFO and recheck it with Air NZ or if United can check it all the way to MEL? Same question for the boarding passes as well?

Thank you for any responses.

Cheers,

Ben

Montague S 27th November 2008 07:07 AM

yes...that is the short answer. you need to get it re-screened before anything else.

David Ramsay 27th November 2008 05:36 PM

UA can check your bags right through.

If all the flights are on the same PNR, they can give you BPs certainly as far as AKL. Not sure about the final leg as I've only ever done it as far as AKL.

Michael Morrison 27th November 2008 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Ramsay (Post 17137)
UA can check your bags right through.

If all the flights are on the same PNR, they can give you BPs certainly as far as AKL. Not sure about the final leg as I've only ever done it as far as AKL.

That is correct. If you have a domestic to international connection they will check the bags through..... HOWEVER on the return they will not check International- domestic all the way through and it will need to be screened. (Presumably ebcause they think their creening is better?)

Not sure about the AKL-AUS leg though.

DavidD 29th November 2008 08:54 PM

United will check your bags all the way through to Melbourne.

My regular commute is SYD-LAX-ORD-ATL-ORD-LAX-AKL-SYD

Leaving Australia you have to collect your bags in LAX and rescreen but on the return you wont see your bag again until Melbourne.

UA/NZ seem to have a fantastic interline and in 80+ trips across the pond they have never lost my bags.

Dave

D Chan 29th November 2008 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Morrison (Post 17138)
That is correct. If you have a domestic to international connection they will check the bags through..... HOWEVER on the return they will not check International- domestic all the way through and it will need to be screened. (Presumably ebcause they think their creening is better?)

Not sure about the AKL-AUS leg though.

I believe the reason is it is their requirement to screen all pax travelling in their domestic flights. That's why they need to screen inbound pax into US.

No need to collect bags, it should go all the way through. Boarding pass as stated depends on PNR. You can provide the flight details for the last leg and see if they can check all the way through. There's a chance it can print all the way.

David Ramsay 30th November 2008 08:52 AM

Quote:

I believe the reason is it is their requirement to screen all pax travelling in their domestic flights. That's why they need to screen inbound pax into US.
It's a US Customs thing, more so than security. You have to clear your luggage through Customs at the port of entry.

Ben W 1st December 2008 12:46 AM

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated!