Sydney Airport Message Board

Sydney Airport Message Board (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/index.php)
-   Flying and Technical Discussion (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Farnborough 2012 (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=7730)

Lukas M 2nd January 2012 03:48 PM

Farnborough 2012

I am looking at going over for this, just wondering how it compares to say Avalon?

Anyone been? 9-15th July this year. Never been to that part of the world so would be great to do some Cessna flying and spotting also.

Otherwise there is always Oshkosh!

David C 2nd January 2012 04:40 PM

I've done 7 Farnboroughs and 2 Avalons ... There really is no comparison .. Farnborough is everything that Avalon tries to aspire . You will be amazed at the variety and number of aircraft at Farnborough . It should be on every aviation persons " must do " list .. As a indication of cost for private hire , I hired a Cirrus SR20 G3 for 175GBP /HR in November last year from Wolverhampton Business Airport , I thought that was very compatible with what you would expect to pay in Australia ..

Jaryd stock 2nd January 2012 04:53 PM

David do tickets sell out quickly for farnborough and where is the best place to book them, I'm guessing over the net is the easiest...

David C 2nd January 2012 07:09 PM

Ticket sales are not too much of an issue . I have never had any problems getting tickets , even close to the event . I would recommend getting tickets pre event though , and through the airshow website too . I haven't even checked if the website is up and running yet for this years show . In addition if you are seriously considering attending , I would most definitely make an effort to get to the RIAT ( Royal International Air Tattoo ) held at nearby RAF Fairford held at about the same time . This is the premier military air show in the World , there have been some very unexpected and exotic military visitors to this show over the years ... Good luck in your travels ..

PS: just checked and the RIAT is on the weekend before Farnborough ie, July 7th and 8th
Dave C

Adrian B 5th January 2012 09:58 AM

Just to annoy the hell out of you, you may want to do a little overtime. Airfares for this time will go nuts due to the Olympic Games starting around this time. You may want to look at flying into a European country and taking the train. I would think you wont get much change out of $3500 - $4000 return ex Mel.

Farnborough is about 20 minutes from the Brooklands Museum in my trip.

Lukas M 6th January 2012 08:23 PM

Thanks guys. Forgot about London 2012, so Oshkosh it is!

David C 7th January 2012 06:47 AM

I've seen airfares for a good deal less than $2000 rtn during the Olympics/ Farnborough period . China Southern are advertising " low season fares for high season times" and Korean Air is very reasonable too .. Very tempting ..

Dave C