Sydney Airport Message Board

Sydney Airport Message Board (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/index.php)
-   Australia and New Zealand Industry (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Excess baggage charges (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=3942)

Philip Argy 10th September 2009 07:33 PM

Excess baggage charges

Here is another example of a disgruntled passenger making a YouTube gripe video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkvuSa_bXXY

At least part of his complaint is that he was permitted over a long period to carry a third piece of baggage at no charge, and now that the excess bagage charge is being enforced, he is not happy. He might have a more legitimate basis to complain if the baggage allowance dropped from 35kg to 24 kg per piece without notice, although I'm not sure he's right about that either.

Grahame Hutchison 10th September 2009 08:33 PM

Sounds like a nice guy, but I think I would say,

"Wayne Mansfield, carry your own extra 60Kgs from Perth to Brisbane".

Andrew P 10th September 2009 08:48 PM

he also has a rant about Wotif.com, and I agree 100% with him

I had the same fight in a Perth hotel on the point of having to give photo ID to the hotel

Grant Smith 10th September 2009 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew P (Post 34461)
I had the same fight in a Perth hotel on the point of having to give photo ID to the hotel

Banjo,

It's pretty simple really, you accept the T&C's of wotif.com when you make the booking. I believe you also have to acknowledge this by "ticking" the box that you accept these T&C's. If you don't like the T&C's of the website don't use it. There are plenty of other third party websites out there that do not have the same policy as wotif.com

I'm sure wotif.com will provide you with a copy of their privacy policy (in relation to the their request for hotels asking for a valid form of I.D) if you request it.

No point in having a fight with a hotel receptionist, superviser, manager on duty, front office manager or general manager. They are simply adhering to a request from wotif.com

Andrew P 10th September 2009 09:41 PM

but the problem was Wotif.com had changed the T&C, without promulgating such changes with any prominence on their website, apart from being tucked away in the legal writing.

the condition still stinks, so a hotel has the following on you, your full name, photo, residential address, date of birth, email address, driving licence number and credit card number, a good start for identity fraud

even airlines don't have that much info on you when you fly

Banjo

David Knudsen 10th September 2009 09:46 PM

I am curious to know if what he says about it being against the privacy act to store this information (photocopy of your license) is true.

This is also an interesting read... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayne_Mansfield

Andrew M 10th September 2009 10:09 PM

1. He was over the baggage allowance SIMPLE - That's all that needs to be said really, but since I want to add more detail.
2. He claims he flys so much... Yet he is only a Gold Member :rolleyes:
3. Rants about traveling "business" but as he said his allowance was 23kgs so he was flying Economy. - Wait I thought he was a good customer....

What a tool and if he is the same person that was a spammer then he is more of a fool.

NickN 11th September 2009 08:48 AM

After reading the Wikipedia entry, it's not hard to see why this gentleman believes he is above the law.

Personally I feel that in this day and age identifying someone when they check in to a hotel etc is extremely important. I have no issues providing photo ID and my credit card to a reputable chain.

Quote:

the condition still stinks, so a hotel has the following on you, your full name, photo, residential address, date of birth, email address, driving licence number and credit card number, a good start for identity fraud
Your sleeping in their hotel, they don't have a right to know a little about you?

I can't recall any stories in the media recently in which an employee of a chain hotel has used guest identities to commit a crime.

You should be more worried about using your credit card online.

Grant Smith 11th September 2009 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew P (Post 34466)

even airlines don't have that much info on you when you fly

Banjo

Banjo,

As I said in my previous post hotel staff are simply following a directive issued by a third party - failure to comply with this directive results in loss of revenue for the hotel.

Who says you have to handover your driver's license at check in? Last time I checked, a passport was an acceptable form of I.D and does not have your address on it. Your email address is only going to be known if you provide it.

If you take the time to read a registration form when you check in to a hotel, a lot of the time you will find a box that you can either tick or leave blank regarding the hotels use of your details for the purposes of marketing.

A lot of asian countries, request you hand over your passport at check in - would you be kicking up such a fuss when you are asked to hand over your passport?

Montague S 11th September 2009 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickN (Post 34477)

Your sleeping in their hotel, they don't have a right to know a little about you?

no he's not, he's sleeping in the shareholders room, if I am handing over those details then I'd want to know about the person I am handing them to.