Sydney Airport Message Board

Sydney Airport Message Board (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/index.php)
-   Australia and New Zealand Industry (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   T3 closed due to stabbing (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=2756)

Nigel C 22nd March 2009 02:35 PM

T3 closed due to stabbing

Breaking news...

Just seen on Ch 7, T3 is apparently closed after a gang entered and stabbed someone.

No doubt more details will emerge soon.

Turns out someone was not stabbed, but rather hit with a bollard. Ouch!

http://www.smh.com.au/national/man-s...0322-95c6.html

Quote:

A brawl between about 20 men at Sydney Airport this afternoon has left one man seriously injured, police say.

The man is being treated at the scene after being hit with what is believed to be a portable bollard. Police say he will be taken to hospital by ambulance shortly. The bollard, among a number of other items, have been taken for forensic examination.

About 1.35pm, police were called to the domestic departure lounge at terminal three. A crime scene has been established there and police advise a number of check in gates have been affected. Travellers are advised to allow extra time to check in as delays are expected.

Police have canvassed the area and will review CCTV footage.

Sydney Airport said the matter was now with police so they were unable to make comment.

Sarah C 22nd March 2009 02:53 PM

I can only think of one word - idiots!

I pity anyone getting to a flight or arriving this afternoon.

Stuart Trevena 22nd March 2009 03:06 PM

Hi All,

This is from Skynews.com

Quote:

Sydney airport brawl

Updated: 16:06, Sunday March 22, 2009

A violent gang brawl at Sydney's domestic airport has shut down the Qantas terminal.

Police were called to the domestic terminal departure check in area at terminal 3 after reports of a fight involving 20 people.

A 28-year-old man, believed to be a member of the Bandidos, was rushed to the Prince of Wales Hospital with severe head injuries.

He is believed to have been bludgeoned with a weapon, possibly a metal bollard. Reports say he went into cardiac arrest at the scene.

He is not expected to live.

Stuart

Dan Hammond 22nd March 2009 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah C (Post 24693)
I can only think of one word - idiots!

I can think of another word, but that wouldnt be suitable for this board.

Stuart Trevena 22nd March 2009 03:44 PM

Hi All,

Further to the story - It has been reported that the person has now died at hospital.

This is from the Australian.news.com.au

Quote:

POLICE are appealing for witnesses after a man died in a brawl that partially shut down the Qantas terminal at Sydney Airport this afternoon.

Police were called to the departure check-in area at Terminal 3 after a fight involving about 20 men at 1.35pm.

A police spokesman said the man was treated at the scene after being hit by what was believed to be a portable bollard. It is believed the man died later in hospital.

"A number items, including portable bollards, are being taken for forensic examination and a crime scene has been set up,'' he said,.

"Passengers are advised to allow extra time checking in as delays are anticipated.''

The spokesman said police were canvassing the departure area and would review CCTV footage.
This is what happens when Macquarie Airports jack up the Taxi access fess again:eek:

Stuart

Sarah C 22nd March 2009 03:56 PM

Whatever caused it, these guys are not too bright. Why start a fight at an airport, where there are police ready to go very quickly and there is security cameras everywhere, including the outside?

Gareth Forwood 22nd March 2009 04:21 PM

Ch 10 said this was a bikie revenge killing... But yeah, pretty stupid doing it with all the surveillance around there. The Ch 10 report also said that the attackers were able to get away in taxis - doesn't say much for the volumes of security that are in place within the terminal.

Tim Bowrey 22nd March 2009 04:41 PM

Wow! I was working there this morning!

Lucky I finished at 1pm hehe:o

D Chan 22nd March 2009 07:20 PM

these people should take their fight elsewhere. the airport is hardly the right place for this kind of thing. it's scary though. wonder how they managed to get past screening to the gate lounge with weapons

Grant Smith 22nd March 2009 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D Chan (Post 24718)
wonder how they managed to get past screening to the gate lounge with weapons

I believe the events unfolded in the check-in area of T3 and hence no screening took place, that being said the weapon was a metal bollard of which there are quite a few handy in the terminal ;)