Sydney Airport Message Board

Sydney Airport Message Board (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/index.php)
-   Australia and New Zealand Industry (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Timor Air/SkyAirWorld (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=2668)

Justin L 10th March 2009 09:26 PM

Timor Air/SkyAirWorld

Does anyone know when Timor Air is due to start flights between Darwin and Dili? I've read reports they were due to start up in early February this year, but nothing seems to have happened.

I will be in Darwin for a family event in September and am hoping to do a side trip to Dili while I'm up there. I'm hoping the introduction of Timor Air will mean cheaper flights than what Air North are currently offering.

Does the delay have anything to do with SkyAirWorld "pausing" to restructure, seeing that they were reportedly going to operate Timor Air's leased plane for the first 12 months?

Brenden S 13th March 2009 12:15 PM

SAW are falling apart as we speak. You can forget all about the Timor service.

Justin L 13th March 2009 12:42 PM

Thanks for that. I am prepared to pay Air North's fare, I was just hoping some competition may have made it cheaper or offered a variety in schedule.

Robert Zweck 13th March 2009 02:50 PM

I see where the 2 E-190 went to Broome today.......leaving the country?

Bob C 13th March 2009 03:48 PM

Apparently so according to a post on another Board.

So the Darwin-Dili flights may be in danger as may be the Perth-Christmas Is-Cocos Is flights which SkyAirWorld were to commence in April, taking over from National Jet (Cobham).

Marty H 13th March 2009 05:25 PM

Didnt SAW recently lease/purchase DJ ex VBT???

Radi K 14th March 2009 09:37 PM

Yeah SAW are over and done with. Went into administration this week.

The E190s went back to the lessor but were impounded briefly in BME before continuing on.

Timor and Coco/Xmas Island runs are dead.

Shame for those staff involved. Management made some bad choices. That's putting it nicely.

lloyd fox 15th March 2009 07:51 AM

Radi yes, Timor Air signed a agreement with Skyairworld, but what is there to stop them from signing with another airline.To say Timor Air runs are gone is not necessarily correct.Timor is a separate country and they are very keen to start a airline.

I dont believe this saga is over yet either.

Also the E-170 is still in BNE.

Bruce Bramwell 15th March 2009 08:36 PM

Where the hell did they get a lease / purchase of the 737-700

There were rumours they had got a NATO contract, but it all turned out to be bogus -

Justin L 16th March 2009 12:31 PM

This article from today's Sydney Morning Herald.

Quote:

Regional turmoil as Queensland carrier collapses
Matt O'Sullivan
March 16, 2009

THE nation's regional aviation sector has been dealt another blow after the Queensland carrier SkyAirWorld had all of its aircraft repossessed.

Joining a growing list of casualties in the sector, SkyAir-World called in the corporate paramedics on Friday owing tens of millions of dollars. The carrier will almost certainly not fly again as its only remaining assets include tools, spare parts and an air operator's certificate.

It also casts doubt on a new national carrier for East Timor as four months ago Timor Air signed up one of SkyAirWorld's 94-seat Embraer aircraft to fly from Dili to Darwin and Bali. The Brisbane carrier also provided pilots and crew.

SkyAirWorld called in a voluntary administrator, Peter Lucas, just days after GE Capital's aircraft leasing arm, GECAS, repossessed the carrier's five Embraer aircraft.

Last month SkyAirWorld sacked 40 staff from its 140-strong workforce and grounded three of its five aircraft.

The Herald understands SkyAirWorld owes tens of millions of dollars to more than 100 creditors. GECAS was the airline's financier.

Two months ago another Queensland carrier, MacAir - nicknamed "Slackair" in aviation circles - collapsed with the loss of 200 jobs.

The distress in regional aviation will cast more doubt on air links to towns in regional and rural Australia. Regional Express's Dubbo-based carrier, Air Link, ceased all of its regular services in NSW in December because they did not "make economic sense".

Rex, the nation's largest independent regional carrier, revealed a 20 per cent slump in passengers in January. Its charter operator, Pel Air, suffered a 40 per cent fall in freight.

Backed by Australian, New Zealand and British businessmen, SkyAirWorld began flying three years ago with the aim of tapping the mining industry's demand for charter flights to the outback. It later began commercial flights within Queensland and between Brisbane and Honiara, capital of the Solomon Islands.

It almost certainly puts to bed the plans of the Indonesian low-cost carrier Lion Air to establish a domestic airline in Australia. Lion Air formed a joint venture with SkyAirWorld last year.

The collapse is also a blow to residents of the Indian Ocean territories who were recently assured of flights to the mainland after National Jet decided against renewing its contract. SkyAirWorld was to begin direct passenger and freight flights from Perth to the Cocos and Christmas islands from April.

Virgin Blue announced plans in January to cut up to 400 jobs and ground five aircraft because of the slowdown in demand for domestic travel.