Sydney Airport Message Board

Sydney Airport Message Board (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/index.php)
-   Flying and Technical Discussion (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Brenden's cargo hold photo (from 'Qantas Depressurisation' thread) (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=1155)

Stephen Brown 29th July 2008 03:54 PM

Brenden's cargo hold photo (from 'Qantas Depressurisation' thread)

So Brendan, is that cargo area photo yours???

If it is I'd be ****ed at the Murdoch Press, because it got a run in the papers today......

Jared F 29th July 2008 03:57 PM

Hey all,

The image taken by Brenden was used in the Daily Telegraph today on page 11. The caption states how it is "how oxygen tanks are stored in an aircraft's baggage compartment". I thought in that particular image the tanks were for water.

ps. Sorry Stephen, just missed your post

Rhys Xanthis 29th July 2008 05:05 PM

If it is yours Brendan, i would go after some kind of money...or let them know that u disapprove if it hasn't got your name in the caption...

edit: anyone got a scan?

Andrew McLaughlin 29th July 2008 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhys Xanthis (Post 9489)
If it is yours Brendan, i would go after some kind of money...or let them know that u disapprove if it hasn't got your name in the caption...

Just out of interest Rhys, what level of knowledge do you have of copyright law?

If it's lots, then by all means provide advice, although I suggest you do it via PM or email. If it's none, then I'd suggest you let those who do have some knowledge take it from here.

Cheers

Montague S 29th July 2008 05:14 PM

why do you want a scan? its right there on the previous page...Rhys, don't use SMS text!

Rhys Xanthis 29th July 2008 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew McLaughlin (Post 9490)
Just out of interest Rhys, what level of knowledge do you have of copyright law?

If it's lots, then by all means provide advice, although I suggest you do it via PM or email. If it's none, then I'd suggest you let those who do have some knowledge take it from here.

Cheers

Not a great deal, and while i know if you post something on the internet it is a bit of a grey area i believe, i would've thought that whoever took the photo has the right to have themselves known by way of their name in the caption!

Opinion only, not legal advice...if you would rather me stay out, maybe i will.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montague S (Post 9491)
why do you want a scan? its right there on the previous page...Rhys, don't use SMS text!

Not of the news article with the picture in it i dont...

And when i dont have much time to post i find myself using sms speak a lot...but i try not to:p

Philip Argy 29th July 2008 05:33 PM

Copyright law

It is a breach of copyright to reproduce another person's work without attribution or permission. If the copyright owner or a licensee suffers damage as a result of either, then damages can be claimed as well as an injunction to restrain further breaches.

Montague S 29th July 2008 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Argy (Post 9497)
It is a breach of copyright to reproduce another person's work without attribution or permission. If the copyright owner or a licensee suffers damage as a result of either, then damages can be claimed as well as an injunction to restrain further breaches.

not quite...Brenden didn't identify himself as the owner of the shot, could be anyones, infact, I could write the terrograph and say its mine and demand money for it...but I won't get any because I didn't copyright the image put on public display in the first place.

;)

Philip Argy 29th July 2008 05:46 PM

I do not know, and therefore did not mention, the identity of the copyright owner of what Brenden posted. It may have been an adaptation of someone else's work for all I know - I just stated the core principles of copyright.

Rhys Xanthis 29th July 2008 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Argy (Post 9501)
I do not know, and therefore did not mention, the identity of the copyright owner of what Brenden posted. It may have been an adaptation of someone else's work for all I know - I just stated the core principles of copyright.

Which is why i also said "If it is yours Brendan"

But lets not get the thread too off track so its closed:)