Sydney Airport Message Board

Sydney Airport Message Board (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/index.php)
-   Flying and Technical Discussion (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Brenden's cargo hold photo (from 'Qantas Depressurisation' thread) (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=1155)

Stephen Brown 29th July 2008 03:54 PM

Brenden's cargo hold photo (from 'Qantas Depressurisation' thread)

So Brendan, is that cargo area photo yours???

If it is I'd be ****ed at the Murdoch Press, because it got a run in the papers today......

Jared F 29th July 2008 03:57 PM

Hey all,

The image taken by Brenden was used in the Daily Telegraph today on page 11. The caption states how it is "how oxygen tanks are stored in an aircraft's baggage compartment". I thought in that particular image the tanks were for water.

ps. Sorry Stephen, just missed your post

Rhys Xanthis 29th July 2008 05:05 PM

If it is yours Brendan, i would go after some kind of money...or let them know that u disapprove if it hasn't got your name in the caption...

edit: anyone got a scan?

Andrew McLaughlin 29th July 2008 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhys Xanthis (Post 9489)
If it is yours Brendan, i would go after some kind of money...or let them know that u disapprove if it hasn't got your name in the caption...

Just out of interest Rhys, what level of knowledge do you have of copyright law?

If it's lots, then by all means provide advice, although I suggest you do it via PM or email. If it's none, then I'd suggest you let those who do have some knowledge take it from here.

Cheers

Montague S 29th July 2008 05:14 PM

why do you want a scan? its right there on the previous page...Rhys, don't use SMS text!

Rhys Xanthis 29th July 2008 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew McLaughlin (Post 9490)
Just out of interest Rhys, what level of knowledge do you have of copyright law?

If it's lots, then by all means provide advice, although I suggest you do it via PM or email. If it's none, then I'd suggest you let those who do have some knowledge take it from here.

Cheers

Not a great deal, and while i know if you post something on the internet it is a bit of a grey area i believe, i would've thought that whoever took the photo has the right to have themselves known by way of their name in the caption!

Opinion only, not legal advice...if you would rather me stay out, maybe i will.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montague S (Post 9491)
why do you want a scan? its right there on the previous page...Rhys, don't use SMS text!

Not of the news article with the picture in it i dont...

And when i dont have much time to post i find myself using sms speak a lot...but i try not to:p

Philip Argy 29th July 2008 05:33 PM

Copyright law

It is a breach of copyright to reproduce another person's work without attribution or permission. If the copyright owner or a licensee suffers damage as a result of either, then damages can be claimed as well as an injunction to restrain further breaches.

Montague S 29th July 2008 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Argy (Post 9497)
It is a breach of copyright to reproduce another person's work without attribution or permission. If the copyright owner or a licensee suffers damage as a result of either, then damages can be claimed as well as an injunction to restrain further breaches.

not quite...Brenden didn't identify himself as the owner of the shot, could be anyones, infact, I could write the terrograph and say its mine and demand money for it...but I won't get any because I didn't copyright the image put on public display in the first place.

;)

Philip Argy 29th July 2008 05:46 PM

I do not know, and therefore did not mention, the identity of the copyright owner of what Brenden posted. It may have been an adaptation of someone else's work for all I know - I just stated the core principles of copyright.

Rhys Xanthis 29th July 2008 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Argy (Post 9501)
I do not know, and therefore did not mention, the identity of the copyright owner of what Brenden posted. It may have been an adaptation of someone else's work for all I know - I just stated the core principles of copyright.

Which is why i also said "If it is yours Brendan"

But lets not get the thread too off track so its closed:)

Josh F 29th July 2008 06:04 PM

The picture is also on PPRUNE so who knows who has ownership. At the same time there is no Copyright water mark on the picture or surround text. Without this, can an individual use a picture without permission since they may not have any means of communicating with the owner?

Also, related news story:

Quote:

Qantas safe, says aviation watchdog

PASSENGERS should have confidence in Qantas despite two safety incidents in the past four days, the aviation watchdog says.

Last Friday a Qantas international jet was forced to make an emergency landing at Manila after a mid-air explosion tore a hole in the plane's fuselage.

Yesterday a domestic Qantas jet was forced to return to Adelaide after a wheel bay door failed to close.

Neither incident should bring about wider worries, the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA )says.

"We've been looking very carefully at Qantas' safety all throughout this year," authority spokesman Peter Gibson said.

"We finished a major audit of Qantas only last month and found no significant safety issues."

Mr Gibson rejected criticism that the authority was too close to the major airlines.

"Certainly CASA is not a partner in aviation safety, that would be entirely inappropriate obviously.
"We're at arms' length from Qantas and the major airlines."
News.com.au

Ash W 29th July 2008 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Argy (Post 9501)

There is also the issue that if a picture is taken in the course of doing ones duty (at a business) the IP of that picture belongs to the employer not the person who took the picture.

Nick W. 29th July 2008 06:36 PM

maybe brendan stole it in the first place? :D

speculating is fun! :rolleyes:

Raymond Rowe 29th July 2008 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ash W (Post 9511)
There is also the issue that if a picture is taken in the course of doing ones duty (at a business) the IP of that picture belongs to the employer not the person who took the picture.

If the company owns the camera. what would you do if it was my camera that took the shots on company time.I own and paid for the camera i can do what i want with the shots.As far as safety you cut now you see what happens and yes passengers will leave.

Nigel C 29th July 2008 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond Rowe (Post 9519)
If the company owns the camera. what would you do if it was my camera that took the shots on company time.I own and paid for the camera i can do what i want with the shots.As far as safety you cut now you see what happens and yes passengers will leave.

If you took the shots on company time, irrespective of whose camera it is, then I think the company would have the right to be feeling cheated somewhat for the lost productivity.

As for doing what you wanted with the shots, then we'd be possibly getting into corporate security issues, breach of ASIC conditions of use issues etc, etc, etc. if it wasn't authorised by the property owner.

My 2 cents.

Lukas M 29th July 2008 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel C (Post 9539)
If you took the shots on company time, irrespective of whose camera it is, then I think the company would have the right to be feeling cheated somewhat for the lost productivity

The Person who took the photo, well this is their FLickr Hompage, and there is a image of them in a photo, Is this Brendan??

http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...afilter=images

Hope I solved the problem

Rhys Xanthis 29th July 2008 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lukas M (Post 9548)
The Person who took the photo, well this is their FLickr Hompage, and there is a image of them in a photo, Is this Brendan??

http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...afilter=images

Hope I solved the problem

i think it is..going by his avatar and i remember seeing those baby pics on here a little while back..

Montague S 29th July 2008 09:52 PM

yes it's him...too bad he didn't copyright his own photo, it would've made him some money.

Chris Griffiths 29th July 2008 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montague S (Post 9550)
yes it's him...too bad he didn't copyright his own photo, it would've made him some money.

Not required, according to the Australian Copyright council.

Have no idea if their interpretation has actual standing in law, but it's likely as close as one gets without hiring lawyers etc!

Philip Argy 30th July 2008 01:04 AM

Copyright is not a verb

Copyright is automatic in all countries, including Australia, that are members of the Berne Convention.

Brenden S 30th July 2008 01:27 AM

Thanks to everyone, yes it is my photo and yes I have been in contact with the daily telegraph. They are getting back to me after several lengthy phone calls. I will however copyright the image now. But to all be warned put a copyright on the image.

Adrian B 30th July 2008 10:56 AM

A work colleague wen to a AIPA (?) meeting last week, and was given this article. Its from the Australian Copyright Council.

It talks about a magical date of 30 July 1998 reegarding ownership. Also mentions copyright of images taken during work / at palces of work etc etc. A good and interetsting read for those concerned.

Copyright as it pertains to Photographers PDF information sheet.

You will need Acrobat to read the information sheet.

Brenden S 30th July 2008 12:47 PM

Thank you so much Adrian.

Josh F 30th July 2008 01:08 PM

Can I please confirm that if there is no Copyright watermark or reference on the photo that it can be replicated without permission as it would make it impossible to know who the owner is?

Philip Argy 30th July 2008 02:12 PM

Copyright is personal property

Quote:

Can I please confirm that if there is no Copyright watermark or reference on the photo that it can be replicated without permission as it would make it impossible to know who the owner is?
No Josh - that's total rubbish. A photographer owns copyright in photos he or she takes. If you are employed as a photographer then photos taken as part of your job belong to your employer.

A copyright watermark or other explicit claim may help people figure out from whom they need permission to reproduce, and who to give the attribution to, but its absence is irrelevant - it just means they have to try harder to find out who owns the copyright.

In the case of something posted on this board, it shouldn't be hard to post a question or send a PM to the poster asking the question, so there's no excuse for anyone to reproduce anyone's contribution from this board and publish it unattributed. That is just straight theft.

Also of relevance is clause 3.3 of the conditions of use of this board, the relevant portion of which states:

Quote:

... the following conditions must be satisfied when using the material on the Board:

- The source of the material is acknowledged, including details of author, artist or creator as required; and
- Any additional requirements on the part of the copyright holder are met; and
- The requirements of the Copyright Act 1968 (Commonwealth) are met.

Rhys Xanthis 30th July 2008 03:13 PM

This is enough for me to make a watermark, and batch apply it to all my photo's i take (when i get a decent lens:p).

Have one copy with watermark, one without.

I'd suggest others perhaps do the same.

Tim C 30th July 2008 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhys Xanthis (Post 9594)
This is enough for me to make a watermark, and batch apply it to all my photo's i take (when i get a decent lens:p).

Have one copy with watermark, one without.

Thanks for that mate will keep it in mind good idea!

Montague S 30th July 2008 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhys Xanthis (Post 9594)

never crossed my mind with the 3500 shots I have in two databases...

look forward to screening your work.

Rhys Xanthis 30th July 2008 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montague S (Post 9608)

look forward to screening your work.

:confused:

Nick W. 30th July 2008 06:42 PM

wish someone would steal my photos... :mad:

;)

Nigel C 30th July 2008 06:54 PM

Make them good enough, and they might.;)

Brenden S 30th July 2008 06:54 PM

Thanks to all involved, the matter has now been solved.

Rhys Xanthis 30th July 2008 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brenden S (Post 9620)

Good to hear Brenden, hopefully this isn't experienced by other members :)

Although its great if we get pics in the newspapers!

Bernie P 31st July 2008 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brenden S (Post 9620)

Hey Brenden,

WITHOUT to much information, how is it resolved? A (belated) acknowledgement in the paper, with apology, and/or did they pay you for it?

Just curious thats all...

Brenden S 31st July 2008 02:36 PM

I got paid and we came to a arrangement. Unfortunately I am not going to disclose it here.

Bernie P 31st July 2008 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brenden S (Post 9693)
I got paid and we came to a arrangement. Unfortunately I am not going to disclose it here.

Then, I think you got 'just what was due'!!!

Goes without saying, we don't need to know anything more....

Ash W 1st August 2008 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernie P (Post 9714)
Then, I think you got 'just what was due'!!!

Goes without saying, we don't need to know anything more....

It might be for nothing if Boeing or who ever it is that owned the 747 diagrams he posted decided to come looking for Brendan because of his breach of their copyright.

Brenden S 3rd August 2008 02:46 PM

Those diagrams were found on the umm internet.... ;)

Anthony J 3rd August 2008 03:20 PM

Hi Brenden, I know it doesn't worry you any more.....but how does it go down if we sell photos taken on Qantas property?

Ash W 3rd August 2008 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brenden S (Post 9882)
Those diagrams were found on the umm internet.... ;)

I'll pay that one. BTW wasn't having a go as such, the diagrams were very informative.