Sydney Airport Message Board

Sydney Airport Message Board (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/index.php)
-   Australia and New Zealand Industry (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Skytrax Award Winners Announced (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=1277)

Sarah C 12th August 2008 12:50 PM

Skytrax Award Winners Announced

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2008/...306841134.html

The world's best airlines

1. Singapore Airlines
2. Cathay Pacific
3. Qantas
4. Thai Airways
5. Asiana Airlines
6. Malaysia Airlines
7. Qatar Airways
8. Air New Zealand
9. Emirates
10. Etihad Airways

Best First Class
Cathay Pacific

Best Business Class
Singapore Airlines

Best Premium Economy Class
EVA Air

Best Economy Class
Asiana Airlines

Best low-cost airline
easyJet

Best Inflight Entertainment
Emirates

Best First Class Catering
Cathay Pacific

Best Business Class Catering
Austrian

Best Airline : Transatlantic
British Airways

Best Airline : Transpacific
Air New Zealand

Not many surprises - Asian carriers continue to dominate the top 10. I still can't understand why Emirates never makes the top 5 at least.

Kent Broadhead 12th August 2008 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah C (Post 10650)
[Asian carriers continue to dominate the top 10

Yes, interesting that the top 6 are asian (:p re. QF), then one middle eastern (probably considered asian, depending on where you come from), then NZ which is (grudgingly Australasian

Where are the US and Euro airlines? What is the [profile of the voters, across which routes?

Scott Lindsell 12th August 2008 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kent Broadhead (Post 10660)
Where are the US airlines?

Kent,
In a league of their own and not to be seen on any Skytrax survey for quiet some time unless you start at the bottom and work your way up. :p
S.

Kent Broadhead 12th August 2008 04:20 PM

Rereading that it seems as though I'm suggesting that the US airlines deserve to be in there - nothing could be further from the truth.

But aren't any of the Euros up to scratch?

Shameel Kumar 12th August 2008 04:54 PM

Quote:

Best Airline : Transpacific
Air New Zealand

Being a fairly regular trans-pac Economy class passenger, I whole-heartedly agree with that decision. AirNZ are at the front of the pack across the Pac'. :)

Will be interesting to see what shake-up there will be in these rankings once QF, and especially EK's A380's come online.

Quote:

Best Inflight Entertainment
Emirates
Seems like ICE is still red-hot with the judges/voters! :D

Quote:

But aren't any of the Euros up to scratch?
Having a quick think, I can barely think of any top-notch Euro carriers besides maybe BA...and errr.. yeh, just BA. :confused:

Rhys Xanthis 12th August 2008 04:59 PM

Im sure QF would be very happy with that, they were 5th last year, its a great effort!

I just wonder how they might suffer next year if they have another incident similar to the hole-in-fuselage thing and suffer another period of media beat up...

And that makes 4th year in a row for emirates being top inflight entertainment.

D Chan 12th August 2008 09:41 PM

Quote:

Not many surprises - Asian carriers continue to dominate the top 10. I still can't understand why Emirates never makes the top 5 at least.

Emirates, whilst being right up there to the best, is in my opinion generally overhyped, especially in the rear of the cabin (economy). Take a look:
http://www.airlinequality.com/Airlines/EK.htm
Their products and more importantly service isn't up there with SQ and to a lesser extent CX. Why are they so successful and expanding so rapidly then - because of its network and location (Dubai). They are able to tap into markets where other airlines simply can't compete. Secondly they are clever with their marketing and sponsorships.
If Etihad could maintain its growth I do think they will be a great threat to EK.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shameel Kumar (Post 10676)
Seems like ICE is still red-hot with the judges/voters! :D

I think Emirates is very clever with marketing ICE on TV (as some of you wouldve seen).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhys Xanthis (Post 10678)
I just wonder how they might suffer next year if they have another incident similar to the hole-in-fuselage thing and suffer another period of media beat up...

The Skytrax survey takes into account of the product and service delivery.

Jason Carruthers 13th August 2008 11:33 AM

Low Cost Awards

I thought it would be relevant to post the results for Best Low Cost Airline (Worldwide and Australia/Pacific)

Best Low Cost Airline - Worldwide

1. Easyjet
2. Virgin Blue
3. Jetstar Airways
4. Air Berlin
5. Southwest Airlines

Best Low Cost Airline - Australia/Pacific

1. Virgin Blue
2. Jetstar Airways
3. Tiger Airways

Source

Great job by Virgin Blue!!

Jason

NickN 13th August 2008 11:42 AM

Weren't Jetstar just advertising not long ago they were voted best LCC? Was that Skytrax or another award?

Greg McDonald 13th August 2008 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickN (Post 10732)
Weren't Jetstar just advertising not long ago they were voted best LCC? Was that Skytrax or another award?

I think they just share the love around with this particular award!!