Sydney Airport Message Board

Sydney Airport Message Board (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/index.php)
-   Spotting and Movements (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   YSSY incident 11 November 6.14pm (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=1903)

Philip Argy 12th November 2008 07:23 AM

YSSY incident 11 November 6.14pm

At about 6.14pm on 11 November I was on VH-VYA (B738) on short finals crossing the Kurnell peninsula for RWY 34L when we executed a go around because, according to the Captain's announcement, "the aircraft ahead of us sustained a malfunction and couldn't take off".

Does anyone know what aircraft blocked us and why? I wasn't able to see any aircraft on 34L as we executed the go around and turned hard left over the top of terminal 1. We were back on the ground in about 12 minutes so it was a quick and tight circuit.

Nigel C 12th November 2008 04:31 PM

I was on last night, but don't recall any aircraft with issues.

Ryan N 12th November 2008 05:11 PM

Could it be this one I found in another forum?

http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/vi...p?f=10&t=36075

Nigel C 12th November 2008 06:56 PM

That incident mentioned didn't happen at 1814. I understand it was much earlier in the day (I was there from 1645 and there was barely any mention of it) and it was something to do with a flat tyre on the starboard side.

If there was anything that affected Philip's flight, it obviously wasn't newsworthy.

Philip Argy 12th November 2008 09:34 PM

Doesn't ANYONE know what happened?

Since we did execute the go around and since the Captain did tell us it was due to the aircraft ahead of us being unable to take off, there must be some record somewhere of what happened!

This board has the finest information sources known to mankind ...

Mick F 12th November 2008 09:49 PM

Errrrr, right.

Maybe your Captain was full of rubbish and didn't want to admit he wasn't established and therefore had to initiate a go-around?

Just accept he did a go-around and go to bed.

Mick

Nigel C 12th November 2008 10:10 PM

Perhaps it's not so much a case of no-one knowing what happened, but maybe it ranked so lowly in their day to day activities that it simply did not warrant any more than a passing glance (that's assuming anyone bothered to look up in the first place!).

To put it into perspective, think of it like this...

I have the ATC radio on and volume turned up for 12 hours in a day. Most of what I hear I automatically filter as standard radio gibber. But when something 'non-standard' is said, be it a phrase or whole transmission, or if my callsign or location on the field is called, I automatically tune in to the finer details and respond where necessary.

The same applies for go-arounds. If I notice one has gone around, I may pass a glance at it, check for wheels down/up, check for smoke, check the props are turning etc, and if all looks good and I don't get a phone or radio call then I quickly forget about it. If there's an issue that might concern me, then I'll pay more attention.

Obviously your cause for excitement on the day hasn't been noticed by anyone else here.

David Ramsay 13th November 2008 06:45 AM

Quote:

I have the ATC radio on and volume turned up for 12 hours in a day. Most of what I hear I automatically filter as standard radio gibber. But when something 'non-standard' is said, be it a phrase or whole transmission, or if my callsign or location on the field is called, I automatically tune in to the finer details and respond where necessary.
Isn't it amazing how the brain can do that ... even mine can!! :)

Nigel C 13th November 2008 08:40 AM

It's somewhat of an acquired art, and it took some time to learn. If I tuned in to every single radio transmission on both company and ATC radios, I'd end up with a splitting headache:eek:

Greg McDonald 13th November 2008 10:14 AM

Something like having the ability to 'tune out' when the wife starts up at home............:)