Sydney Airport Message Board

Sydney Airport Message Board (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/index.php)
-   Spotting and Movements (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Your favourite YSSY spotting/viewing locations? (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=12347)

Robbie J 1st January 2022 08:49 AM

Your favourite YSSY spotting/viewing locations?

Happy New Year to everyone. Let's hope 2022 is a little more 'streamlined' than last year.

This is a question that gets asked from time to time on the forum, so I'd like to get a round-up of opinions again... what is your favourite spotting location at YSSY, and why?

For me, the best spot is the rooftop of the domestic and international carparks. Before that, my favourite spot used to be the overgrown gully on the north side of the airport at Runway 34L.

(That's near the old container terminal, Swamp Road and the golf-driving range. I say it used to be my favourite spot because it is now closed to the public.)

Why I like those carpark rooftops is their elevated vantage point. You can see a lot more/further than you can from street level.

Reece perram 1st January 2022 01:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nigel Love bridge during the early morning arrivals on 16R then the mid morning departures also, great line up shots and still hear the spool up of the heavies!

Kent Broadhead 1st January 2022 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reece perram (Post 113418)
Nigel Love bridge during the early morning arrivals on 16R then the mid morning departures also, great line up shots and still hear the spool up of the heavies!

Nigel Love Bridge is currently closed for the Sydney Gateway construction work :(

Robbie J 2nd January 2022 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reece perram (Post 113418)

Are you spotting only, or doing some photography as well? It seems your preferred spot has aircraft in the air. I like a mix of both for photography - large jets taxying on the tarmac look good through a long lens.

Phil Stevens 2nd January 2022 10:12 PM

I used to like the Rydges conference suite. Air con, outside option, seating and a coffee in the fee. I could also get there on the bus. On my last visit, my family dropped me off at Shep’s mound, and I walked to the sign of the golden arch for facilities. Both are much better than we have in the UK.

Robbie J 3rd January 2022 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Stevens (Post 113421)
I used to like the Rydges conference suite. Air con, outside option, seating and a coffee in the fee. I could also get there on the bus. On my last visit, my family dropped me off at Shep’s mound, and I walked to the sign of the golden arch for facilities. Both are much better than we have in the UK.

Yes, Shep's Mound is within walking distance of McDonalds if you don't have wheels.

Did you also visit Tower Beach, near the old control tower? It's always been a popular spot, but there are many others if you are willing to do some exploring.