Sydney Airport Message Board

Sydney Airport Message Board (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/index.php)
-   Spotting and Movements (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Shep's Hill fencing (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=4844)

Andrew McLaughlin 5th February 2010 08:11 AM

Shep's Hill fencing

I noticed the Botany Council's Sydney Airport Operations guys were putting fencing up around Shep's Hill yesterday evening.

You can still drive up onto the hill from below at the end of the road and from in front of the tower entrance, but the fencing is designed to stop people (test driving Toyota Prados perhaps?) from entering the area across the soft and sandy bits.

Those of you attending the spotters weekend, watch the really soft area in the middle behind the smaller mound!

Kurt A 5th February 2010 08:22 AM

My suggestion, would be to keep your car well away from the sandy mound altogether. Might save you some embarrassment!

Adam P. 5th February 2010 08:40 AM

There is, of course, one easy way around that...

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p...0599_small.jpg

:eek:

Nigel C 5th February 2010 08:50 AM

With the current forecast? You can have it!
:D

NickN 5th February 2010 08:55 AM

I saw what I will call an "over-ambitious" dad in a Holden ute try and show off to his son and drive through that soft sandy patch and try to be a daddy hero.

Lets just say if this guy was Superman he'd have his undies around his ankles. The act of heroism ended up with the ute being bogged down to the underside of the car and a rather displeased NRMA guy having to tow him out.

Kurt A 5th February 2010 10:43 AM

Fencing:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1.../Image0079.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1..._fencing01.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1..._fencing02.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1..._fencing03.jpg

NeilP 5th February 2010 11:25 AM

Looks ominous...

Kurt A 5th February 2010 11:27 AM

As you can see, it's extremely soft down at Shep's Hill... Don't get yourself bogged. Here is Man vs Wild earlier today :D

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1.../Image0080.jpg

NickN 5th February 2010 12:03 PM

Hope someone comes to dig ya out!

Adrian B 5th February 2010 12:37 PM

Nah, recovery strap round the old john thomas will get him out of there, maybe even before you start the 4wd attached to the other end.....

Stephen Brown 5th February 2010 01:08 PM

It was all the extra biscuits he had stuck in his pockets that weighed him down....

Plus those stilletos he wears would dig right in...

Adam P. 5th February 2010 02:29 PM

You shoulda seen the pink hat!!!

Raymond Rowe 5th February 2010 07:56 PM

Is that the infamous trolley dolly from Adelaide in the earlier photo?

Craig Murray 5th February 2010 08:23 PM

Look Mum, no hands!!!!

Nice shot, have a good weekend guys.

Philip Argy 6th February 2010 12:38 AM

Why?

What exactly is the point of the fencing on the western side of 'our' site? Are they headed for something more permanent, and HIGHER?

Brian Wilkes 6th February 2010 02:44 PM

I was told last November by a SACL bloke who was taking down notes and shots of the rubbish left around the mound that he was to say and I quote "Enjoy this area while you can"!

D Chan 6th February 2010 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt Ams (Post 41813)
As you can see, it's extremely soft down at Shep's Hill...

at least it's not quick sand ;):D

Peter Agatsiotis 6th February 2010 04:28 PM

Whatever location has been made available to us over the years has always been a hangout for 'messy visitors'. Even the 'temporary' area at the corner of the runway intersection was 'vandalised' at times. It's a shame as we suffer for other people's bad habits. Broken glass, condoms, vomit, the odd syringe, 'takeaway' rubbish etc.

Botany Council could have made things easier with bins (which they used to provide).

Yes, I too have seen the 'groups' with safety vests, hard hats and notepads, maps etc.

I think we all knew some time ago that the time would come when one of the world's best spotting locations would soon be a carpark or a group of buildings of some sort.

As Winston Churchill once said "We will fight them on the beaches...". Hope there's plenty of parking at the beach; haven't been there for years.

Nigel C 8th February 2010 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Argy (Post 41865)
What exactly is the point of the fencing on the western side of 'our' site? Are they headed for something more permanent, and HIGHER?

The point was to hopefully curb the amount of erosion and prevent cars from eroding the whole mound. SACL were certainly aware of the spotting weekend coming up and the history of bogged cars in the soft areas, as well as the shoulders of the road wearing away hence the fence along the top road near the Control Tower.

With any luck, more new fencing will be installed to help encourage grass growth to stabilise the area.

I should add, if more fencing is put up to isolate certain areas, then it will ultimately be up to you spotters (not as individuals, but collectively) to help preserve the fence and encourage some grass regrowth. It is you who will benefit from having a grassy, stable mound from which to view from. If that means short term inconvenience to your favourite position, then tolerate it without fuss.

And lastly, not being directed at any one person, stop being so damn negative when you see activities occurring around your favourite haunts. Sometimes there are actually people out there who are trying to help you, but some of you get all too caught up in you own selfish wants and can't see the positives. Be thankful for what you've already got and treat it with respect...it might just hang around for a little while longer!

David Ramsay 8th February 2010 04:29 PM

It hasn't affected access and doesn't cause any problems. I guess it is having the desired effect but I sure wouldn't have driven over the bits where they have put it .. even in a 4WD.

NeilP 8th February 2010 08:12 PM

I'm not too sure where anybody is really being that negative...
I would imagine that most, if not all, spotters who use the Mound would already treat it with respect. I have never seen any spotters leave rubbish, for reason obvious to an aviation enthusiast.
Perhaps a small sign on the fence indicating it's purpose would have alleviated any cautiousness, and given those concerned a little more confidence.
Either way, I am sure all spotters will show their appreciation in any way they can.
Long live The Mound!
Cheers,
Neil.

Nigel C 8th February 2010 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilP (Post 41811)
Looks ominous...

Somewhat negative, wouldn't you agree?

However I wasn't necessarily referring to just this thread. If you go back through the pages of past threads that mention spotting locations and changes occuring nearby, you'll usually be met with the usual negativity brigade.

The problem, I would think, with putting a sign up on the fence indicating it's a 'dedicated spotting area' (I presume that's what you meant?) is that there would then be a degree of responsibility and duty of care taken for the condition of the area by the landowner. This would then lead to numerous initial and ongoing maintenance costs which no doubt the landowner might reasonably try to recover.

I do agree though that the Mound is an accessible area which can hopefully remain open to the public. If it's looked after, well you just never know!

NeilP 9th February 2010 07:35 AM

I can't necessarily speak for every other poster on in this forum, but I know for a fact that my "looks ominous" comment was simply a tongue in cheek comment regarding the fact that given the Mound is really nothing more than wasteland albeit owned by a corporate heavyweight, and that this is the second lot of fencing to go up in the last 6 months or so, plus having neither heard nor seen anything to allay such "fears", we should be prepared for it not to be there in the future.

Personally, if I owned or bought that block of land, I would develop it into a multi-level aircraft spotting area with cafe and toilets... and quite possibly charge a small entry fee. Or is that negative?

Nigel C 9th February 2010 07:50 AM

Then how about ask Macquarie about leasing it and make it happen?

Well, now that you know the fencing was put up to help stop erosion from the cars, your "fears" can now be allayed!

NeilP 9th February 2010 08:22 AM

Because it's an unrealistic "pipe dream"...

Now that I know, I feel much better, thank you.

And No, I don't need a sign to tell me it's a "dedicated spotting area". But a sign, perhaps "fence erected to control soil erosion", akin to "Don't feed the birds" would have sufficed...

Philip Argy 9th February 2010 08:24 AM

Alternatively ...

How about we offer to buy Shep's Hill from Big Mac and turn it into 'our' clubhouse including a tower with castellated photography stations and entry to members only?

Lee G 9th February 2010 08:25 AM

Nigel,

In fairness to the negative comments, over the past few years there has been a decreasing number of decent vantage points due to building works and the like and you have to admit - the mound would be one of those places high on the list for redevelopment. People get worried when they see fence and taped off areas because of the possibility that in 6-12 months time there could be a dirty big building standing on the patch of dirt which represents the only legally accessable westerly facing viewing area.

Having said that, I personally appreciate you letting us all know whats going on and laying to rest the rumour mill.

Now .... if only you could do something about those lightposts on the fenceline
;)

Greg McDonald 9th February 2010 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Argy (Post 42060)
How about we offer to buy Shep's Hill from Big Mac and turn it into 'our' clubhouse including a tower with castellated photography stations and entry to members only?

Great idea Philip....you buy it and I'll join your club:D:D:D

Peter Agatsiotis 12th February 2010 07:07 AM

On a more positive note, this was what it was like just over 4 years ago - the big event, A380 F-WWOW arriving.

How many of you can see where you were?

Matt_L 12th February 2010 07:35 AM

Peter,

good memories!

Actually on that day- i was over at the radar field with what id say was at least 100+ others. Back then when it was still allowed:) the radar field used to have huge piles of sand (which weren't covered in knee deep grass like it is now) which made for a perfect place to spot or put down the chair!

shame we seem to lose these things over time ie radar field, shep's hill becoming more restrictive and tarmac tours..:(

Mike S 12th February 2010 07:39 AM

I keep meaning to register some interest with the Tour Bus company for a possible solution to this problem.

$10/hr and come sit on the top level of one of those double deckers, over the fence line and also at a better angle. Also a nice stable surface to put those tripods.

Discount rates for YSSY message board members of course!

Ryan Hothersall 12th February 2010 09:47 AM

Sheps mound

Good idea using the double decker buses.

Clear photos over the fence, and for us who have difficulty standing for long periods, a seat to sit on.

Philip Argy 13th February 2010 09:37 AM

Double deckers

Last Sunday we saw one or two people wander across the road and use the top deck of the double decker for spotting

Gareth Forwood 13th February 2010 09:51 AM

By the reactions of the bus depot staff, I don't think they had permission...

Philip Argy 13th February 2010 12:40 PM

I'm sure they didn't but the unobstructed view was a big attraction as the trees lining the north of Shep's Hill become increasingly bushy.

Luckily we had the use of Damien's observation Deck atop his Commodore so had a clear view without needing to leave the Hill.

Brenden S 21st February 2010 01:56 PM

Ok, now all of you go to woolies and get yourself a box of grass seeds, (only $9) and then spread it around to speed up the process. Not hard, cheap and also means that you should get the spot back quicker.

Ryan Hothersall 21st February 2010 04:07 PM

Shep hill

If the guy stuck in the mud is who I think he is, tell him he got a job with qantaslink and watch him get outta there quicksmart and watch him run at mach 1 speed back to Adelaide. :D

Nigel C 21st February 2010 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brenden S (Post 42683)
Ok, now all of you go to woolies and get yourself a box of grass seeds, (only $9) and then spread it around to speed up the process. Not hard, cheap and also means that you should get the spot back quicker.

DO NOT bring grass seeds! It will attract the birds!!!!:mad:

Birds and aviation don't mix!!!

Grant Smith 22nd February 2010 01:13 AM

It will, however, give you something to do during the day Nige :p

Nigel C 22nd February 2010 08:00 AM

What? Shoot the silly bugger spreading the seed?:eek:

Brenden, I admire the intention, but I thought you as an engineer, who has no doubt removed bird guts from aircraft (engines are especially gooey;)), would be the last one to encourage birds near aircraft operations!
Perhaps if some loose strands of kikuyu (a fast growing, non seeding grass) were buried in the dirt the area might stabilise quicker.