Sydney Airport Message Board

Sydney Airport Message Board (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/index.php)
-   Australia and New Zealand Industry (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Qantas Shutdown (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=7499)

Andi O 29th October 2011 04:16 PM

Qantas Shutdown

Alan Joyce has just held a press conference announcing the lock out of some Qantas staff and has shutdown the airline effective immediately.

Sarah C 29th October 2011 04:21 PM

Stunned.......Virgin must think Christmas has come early. Ball is now back in the unions court. Government has to become involved now.

Darren T. 29th October 2011 04:22 PM

This is huge.

This will live in History.

Jarden S 29th October 2011 04:25 PM

Wow that's a major change in events.
AJ also said in today's courier mail that the airline could loose 17,000 jobs within a year if the industrial action continues.

Grant Smith 29th October 2011 04:37 PM

A day after his pay rise was approved by the shareholders... Coincidence?

John Arena 29th October 2011 04:40 PM

All employees covered under the Unions have been 'locked out' according to the press conference

John

Grahame Hutchison 29th October 2011 04:41 PM

From Australian Business Traveller ...

Quote:

Qantas has cancelled every single worldwide Qantas-operated flight immediately, until further notice, with the airline advising that "customers booked on Qantas flights should not go to the airport until further notice".
The airline is locking out all its unionised workforce: pilots, engineers, baggage handlers, ground staff and catering staff -- which means that it simply can't fly.
In a press conference today at Qantas' Sydney headquarters, CEO Alan Joyce announced that there will be "no further Qantas domestic departures or international departures anywhere in the world".
Aircraft currently in the sky will land as planned.
"Jetstar flights, QantasLink flights and Qantas flights across the Tasman operated by Jetconnect will continue," an airline statement said.
Qantas is requesting that only passengers within the next 24 hours call its contact centres: 13 13 13 from within Australia.
The airline says: "A full refund will be available to any customer who chooses to cancel their flight because it has been directly affected by the grounding of the fleet. Full rebooking flexibility will be available to customers who wish to defer their travel."
"Assistance with accommodation and alternative flights, as well as other support, will be offered to customers who are mid-journey."

Carsten Bauer 29th October 2011 04:50 PM

I couldn't believe this when I heard on the radio "Qantas cancelling flights" I thought it was the usual news we've been hearing all week, but then I checked my twitter, and saw qantas announce all flights grounded. Thought it was a joke at first.

Andrew M 29th October 2011 04:51 PM

Disgusting Alan
Disgusting

Joe Frampton 29th October 2011 04:52 PM

I work in the travel industry... (major gulp for the work ahead in the next few days).....

You have to say, this is truly historical, Qantas will either come out of this as the winner, with the unions crushed, or it's game over for Qantas as we know it in it's current form.... either way if you're travelling or planning to travel on Qantas in the immediate future, you're well and truly ****ed

and who thought it could only happen to Tiger :eek: