Sydney Airport Message Board

Sydney Airport Message Board (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/index.php)
-   Australia and New Zealand Industry (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   QF flt cancelled due flap damage (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=1977)

damien b 22nd November 2008 06:48 PM

QF flt cancelled due flap damage

This just in from news.com.au

Quote:

A NEW Zealand-bound Qantas flight had to be aborted minutes before takeoff when wing damage was discovered by an engineer at Sydney airport today.

The Christchurch-bound Qantas 747-300 was taxiing towards the runway at 9.15am (AEST) when an engineer noticed damage to its right wing flap.

The engineer notified the pilot, who aborted the flight.

Qantas said all 213 passengers on the plane have been given accommodation and meal vouchers, and booked on another flight tomorrow.

The damage was being assessed, a spokeswoman for the airline said.

Any idea how this one happened? Guessing a ground vehicle has come into contact with the flaps at some stage.

PaulL 22nd November 2008 06:51 PM

I posted a link about this under the final flight of the 747-300 but here the link to some pics again

http://www.theaussieaviator.net/showthread.php?t=23721

damien b 22nd November 2008 07:23 PM

Didn't see that in the other thread :o

A bit of damage to the leading edge slats from what the photos show. I'm guessing ground equipment has hit it at some stage.

Tom PER 22nd November 2008 07:52 PM

How did the crew miss that one on the walk-around??

Anthony J 22nd November 2008 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Barber (Post 16845)
How did the crew miss that one the walk-around??

The flaps are not extended during the walk around. This damage would have occured as the leading edge flaps were deployed after engine start.

Peter JB 22nd November 2008 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by damien b (Post 16843)
Didn't see that in the other thread :o

A bit of damage to the leading edge slats from what the photos show. I'm guessing ground equipment has hit it at some stage.

A bit of damage?? WTF - that is major! 2 things - either the pilot did NOT do his walk around or some idiot has smashed into it afterwards and kept going! Qantas has serious problems - you can't deny that.

Is this a joke or something? This cannot be happening here surely.

This has me worried enough not to travel with QANTAS with all that has been happening lately.

Arthur Boy 22nd November 2008 08:43 PM

Stay calms folks, lets not start to sound like media here and lets get the facts first.........Personally i would be mortified if the LE was like this at the gate.

So, assuming there were some professionals doing thier jobs while the A/C was at the gate, how could this have occurred?

Please, offer more serious, views from those with greater engineering knowledge, but I proffer the following:

1. Something hit it while under its own steam (highly unlikely not to have been noticed....);
OR
2. As previously suggested, (and IMHO, likely) mechanical failure during deployment.

Either way, another embarrassing engineering failure at the rat.

Question, WHO at QF really cares? The B743 is basically at the end of its life, put her down gently while there is a modicom of respect left.

Adam G 22nd November 2008 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter JB (Post 16848)
A bit of damage?? WTF - that is major! 2 things - either the pilot did NOT do his walk around or some idiot has smashed into it afterwards and kept going! Qantas has serious problems - you can't deny that.

Is this a joke or something? This cannot be happening here surely.

This has me worried enough not to travel with QANTAS with all that has been happening lately.

Actually you should feel very safe because the systems worked - it was picked up before dispatch. As for your "2 things" comment - the future will probably prove both of them to be incorrect.

Nick W. 22nd November 2008 09:12 PM

almost looks like on the LHS the flap jammed, and on the RHS it did its job properly, and hence just kinda tore it through the middle?

AdamC 22nd November 2008 09:24 PM

Is was a simple thing that wasn't picked up on a walk around but was picked up by maintenance crew. This happens everyday in aircraft flying whether it be GA to airlines to defence.

My five cents worth.

Cheers

Adam