Sydney Airport Message Board

Sydney Airport Message Board (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/index.php)
-   Flying and Technical Discussion (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Flying into Avalon for the Airshow 2009 Question (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=2319)

Tony P 21st January 2009 03:05 PM

Flying into Avalon for the Airshow 2009 Question

Dear all,

Thinking of flying into Avalon aboard a Jetstar flight one day of the airshow this year.
My question is, how do you get from the Jet* terminal to the airshow gates? Is it a short walk? Shuttle bus etc?

Thanks all in advance.

T.

Andrew McLaughlin 21st January 2009 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony P (Post 20161)
Dear all,

Thinking of flying into Avalon aboard a Jetstar flight one day of the airshow this year.
My question is, how do you get from the Jet* terminal to the airshow gates? Is it a short walk? Shuttle bus etc?

Thanks all in advance.

T.

You can't walk it because traffic has to cross an active taxiway between the terminal and the airshow site - found that out the hard way two years ago...in the rain...

There are shuttle busses which meet every incoming flight, but NOT shuttle busses back to the terminal to meet outgoing flights as far as I know.

Robert Zweck 22nd January 2009 11:46 AM

I was in the Avalon Terminal on December 28th and the structures for three giant marquees ( minus canvas ) were already in place.

The actual or Great Circle distance from the Terminal to the site is only about 400-500 metres but as Andrew said the taxiway gets in the way.

Lukas M 22nd January 2009 12:58 PM

Whilst on the Avalon topic, I am in the process of deciding which Grandstand to choose (ie-Spitfire/Sabre/Meteor), and was after any advice for good seats? Row "M" perhaps??

Tim Bowrey 22nd January 2009 01:37 PM

Im flying to Tullamarine then hiring a car then taking the last flight home. Were in the Gold Pass area right next to the runway so I hope its good!

Any rough ideas what will be there?

Nigel C 22nd January 2009 01:55 PM

Wouldn't it be better if it was a surprise?

Tim Bowrey 22nd January 2009 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel C (Post 20210)

Yeah but I want to know anyway:D

phil.l 22nd January 2009 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel C (Post 20210)

Don`t be surprised if nothing is there.

Tony P 22nd January 2009 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phil.l (Post 20240)
Don`t be surprised if nothing is there.

I'd have to agree with that one.

I wonder what the effect of the current financial climate and prices at $50 per head will do to crowd numbers? Be interesting. I think more people will watch from the freeway!:eek:

Mick F 22nd January 2009 10:10 PM

Based on previous Avalon Airshows that I've been to, I wouldn't bother buying grandstand tickets to this. Just take a chair with you and wander around and enjoy it.

Mick