Sydney Airport Message Board

Sydney Airport Message Board (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/index.php)
-   Australia and New Zealand Industry (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Checked luggage - electronic items query? (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=5658)

Adam.S 19th July 2010 07:21 PM

Checked luggage - electronic items query?

To whom can be of assistance,
I have an upcoming domestic trip where I would like to take my laptop computer and radio scanner along with me.

I am aware that laptops are usually considered a carry-on item, although since I won't need the computer during the flight I would like to pack it in with my checked baggage.
1-Is this allowed and safe from a security point-of-view
2-If I pack it well surrounded with clothes/towels etc, should I be confident that it will make it to our destination in one piece?

As for the radio scanner, would this be seen as an unusual or 'suspicious item'? One which would raise an eyebrow as it is being scanned?
Would I need to somehow inform relevant persons that I have a radio scanner in my checked luggage and that no, its not a bomb?

cheers

Todd Milton 19th July 2010 07:55 PM

Packing a laptop in your bag is at your own risk. If it gets damaged, the airline (nor most travel insurance companies) will cover it. Having a scanner will not cause any alarm in either screening process.

Bernie P 19th July 2010 08:06 PM

Recently, I have done a few sectors... On MOST of them, I have had my laptop in my check bag with exception of 2 of the 12 flights! And it is still working perfectly... Well packed is the way to go!

On the other hand, when in Venice recently, I purchased some goblets from the Murano factory (c. $1500) and there was NO WAY, I was going let them out of my SIGHT!

FWIW, the laptop is just over 12 months old and around $1800 worth, goes to show what I hold with greatest value hey!

Nigel C 19th July 2010 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd Milton (Post 48562)
...If it gets damaged, the airline (nor most travel insurance companies) will cover it. ....

Will, or won't cover it? :confused:

Adam.S 19th July 2010 10:05 PM

Thanks Bernie/Todd.
Gives me a bit of piece of mind.
I do acknowledge that packing the laptop in checked baggage is my risk, then again, turbulence may also damage it if it were kept in the overhead bins.
It would be nice if the baggage handlers treated every checked bag as if it were relatively fragile - Although I know its hard for them being in a time critical environment.
Still, half a second shouldn't matter, but I guess it does in the eyes of management :rolleyes:

Todd Milton 19th July 2010 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel C (Post 48568)
Will, or won't cover it? :confused:

Yeah don't know where the not part of that sentence went to, I certainly remember thinking it (It just didn't get typed). :o

To make more sense, airlines and most insurance companies will not cover damage to laptops or other electronic items placed in checked in baggage.

Adam, it is certainly safer to be well packed in a laptop bag and in the overhead, or better yet under the seat in front of you. When in the hold, on the barrows, in the tins the biggest nemesis of a laptop in a bag is another, much heavier item spearing into it (And even sometimes falling from the barrow, which does not happen often). Even with clothing something heavy enough to crush you bag could crack the screen or shell of the laptop.

Adam.S 20th July 2010 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd Milton (Post 48572)

Adam, it is certainly safer to be well packed in a laptop bag and in the overhead, or better yet under the seat in front of you. When in the hold, on the barrows, in the tins the biggest nemesis of a laptop in a bag is another, much heavier item spearing into it (And even sometimes falling from the barrow, which does not happen often). Even with clothing something heavy enough to crush you bag could crack the screen or shell of the laptop.

Some good points thankyou.
Same advice for International flights(where I won't be using the computer regardless of flight duration)?