Sydney Airport Message Board

Sydney Airport Message Board (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/index.php)
-   Australia and New Zealand Industry (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Jetstar signs Jelena Dokic in $1m sponsorship deal (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=2379)

Phillippe M 30th January 2009 07:04 AM

Jetstar signs Jelena Dokic in $1m sponsorship deal

Quote:

Jetstar signs Jelena Dokic in $1m sponsorship deal
Herald Sun - January 30, 2009 12:01am

JELENA Dokic has capped the spectacular comeback that won her a top-100 ranking in women's tennis and a wad of prizemoney with a $1 million sponsorship. Dokic, 25. has signed a three-year-contract - her first in seven years - to become the new face of budget airline Jetstar.

As part of the deal she will receive free flights to all venues in Australasia, the Herald Sun reports.

Details of the contract are being negotiated, but Dokic is not expected to appear in television ads.

Dokic was considering offers from several companies wishing to cash in on her Australian Open comeback, IMG manager David Malina said.

This week Dokic posed for Jetstar publicity photos in front of Melbourne's skyline.

She won huge public support as she played her way into the quarter-finals, finally bowing out this week to world No. 3 Dinara Safina.

The match was a TV ratings winner with 3.2 million viewers tuning in.

Dokic won the hearts of fans with her fighting spirit and openness about her past troubles: depression, weight gain and a short-lived retirement that all stemmed from family estrangement brought on by her volatile and overbearing father Damir.

In a frank interview after her heartwarming run to the quarter-finals, Dokic on Wednesday recalled the other life-changing week when her competitive instincts stopped her from putting away the racquet for good two years ago.

Her comments have drawn offers from women's magazines, but it is believed Dokic has rejected them.

Next week Dokic joins fellow Aussie Samantha Stosur at the Federation Cup in Perth.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/...014090,00.html

Russell D 30th January 2009 08:00 AM

Good on her. She's been through a lot, so I think she deserves a bright future. :)

NickN 30th January 2009 08:04 AM

Well Lleyton Hewitt is useless Australia needs a national tennis hero and Jelena fits the bill.

Montague S 30th January 2009 08:10 AM

anyone winning fits the bill....

but good on her, I hope the narrow-minded out there don't try and cut her down.

Dan Hammond 30th January 2009 08:10 AM

Good on her, good to see her back on her feet after all the crap shes been through.

NickN 30th January 2009 08:15 AM

Did you see the story in the paper about the massive house her dad lives in that he bought with her winnings? The guy looks like a true weirdo.

Russell D 30th January 2009 08:31 AM

Quote:

Did you see the story in the paper about the massive house her dad lives in that he bought with her winnings? The guy looks like a true weirdo.
Yes I saw that, and I totally agree with you.

Also, another reason why I feel happy the Jelena is now well supported and now has this new contract is the fact that almost all (or all) of her former prize money and sponsorship revenue was taken by her father, leaving her practically broke.

She deserves every cent of this new contract. Hopefully she can continue her great form for many years to come.

Andrew McLaughlin 30th January 2009 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickN (Post 20775)
Well Lleyton Hewitt is useless Australia needs a national tennis hero and Jelena fits the bill.

Yeah, after all, Lleyton has only won two Grand Slam singles titles and has been runner up twice, won one Grand Slam doubles event, has more than 70 ATP careers wins, two Davis Cup titles and two runners up, two Masters Cup titles, ranked world number one for 18 months in 2001-2003, two time ATP Player of the Year, about US$18 million in career prize money...:eek:

Yeah, I'd call that pretty useless! :rolleyes:

Montague S 30th January 2009 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew McLaughlin (Post 20784)
Yeah, after all, Lleyton has only won two Grand Slam singles titles and has been runner up twice, won one Grand Slam doubles event, has more than 70 ATP careers wins, two Davis Cup titles and two runners up, two Masters Cup titles, ranked world number one for 18 months in 2001-2003, two time ATP Player of the Year, about US$18 million in career prize money...:eek:

Yeah, I'd call that pretty useless! :rolleyes:

and a big mouth to boot... ;)

Hewitt didn't have the same obstructions when he was in the prime of his career, he only had substandard opposition like Nalbandian and an ageing Sampras to deal with.

Andrew McLaughlin 30th January 2009 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montague S (Post 20785)
and a big mouth to boot... ;)

Hewitt didn't have the same obstructions when he was in the prime of his career, he only had substandard opposition like Nalbandian and an ageing Sampras to deal with.

...and Andre Agassi, and Andy Roddick, and Carlos Moya, and Federer...geez!

Substandard??? :confused: