Sydney Airport Message Board

Sydney Airport Message Board (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/index.php)
-   International Industry (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Report: Malaysian airliner crashes in Ukraine (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=10045)

Justin L 18th July 2014 01:44 AM

Report: Malaysian airliner crashes in Ukraine

If this report is confirmed, a sad day for all the families of the casualties, and a grim future for Malaysia Airlines one would feel.

Report: Malaysian airliner crashes in Ukraine

Quote:

A Malaysian Airlines Boeing 777 with 295 people aboard crashed Thursday in Ukraine near the Russian border, the Russian Interfax news agency reports, quoting "a source in the aviation circles."

The report has not been confirmed.

The report said Malaysian Airlines flies an Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur route that crosses Ukraine and Russian territory. The unidentified source, according to Interfax, said the plane was 30 miles from Russian airspace when it began to go down. It said the burning wreckage of the plane was found on the ground in Ukraine.

The report, quoting the aviation source, says there were 280 passengers and 15 crew members aboard.

Stuart Trevena 18th July 2014 01:57 AM

Hi All,

What a sad day for MAS if this true and correct.

As MAS was already in financial trouble, this could be the straw that broke the camels back.

Stuart

Joe Frampton 18th July 2014 02:01 AM

Oh My God, that is absolutely terrible, this is only the first news of this as I wake up now, and will have massive international repercussions. As for Malaysia Airlines, I worry for their survivability now, although they need an airline internally, their international business is going to disappear after this. Tragedy.

Stuart Trevena 18th July 2014 02:12 AM

Hi All,

From flightaware, it appears the aircraft was 9M-MRD B772 formerly known as "Freedom of Space"

Stuart

Justin L 18th July 2014 02:19 AM

It appears the flight was downed by a missile!

Stuart Trevena 18th July 2014 02:25 AM

I didn't think anyone had a ground to air missile that could go 34,000ft.
Must be some missile.

Stuart

Sarah C 18th July 2014 04:44 AM

Shocking news all round - the circumstances are tragic. Makes you wonder why there were flying over that airspace, given what is happening in the area.

Sad as well that it was the beautiful former Freedom of Space livery.

I hope MH will recover - they were struggling from MH370, this will be another cruel blow.

NathanJ 18th July 2014 05:12 AM

Tragedy aside. It makes you wonder what shenanigans the Malaysian government must be caught up in globally leading up to these two epic disasters.

damien b 18th July 2014 05:25 AM

Certainly a tragedy. Malaysian Airlines will struggle I feel after this. Guess other airlines will now avoid Ukraine airspace.

Reports are it may have been a SA-17 SAM with a height range of 25,000m and engagement range of 42,000m. How the pro-Russians got their hands on one is a good question but if so, it certainly is designed to take out high flying aircraft. Maybe the separatist thought is was a Ukraine military transport?

Ryan N 18th July 2014 07:11 AM

27 Australians on board the flight.