Sydney Airport Message Board

Sydney Airport Message Board (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/index.php)
-   Australia and New Zealand Industry (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   50 year anniversary - QF and the 707 (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=3645)

James R 19th July 2009 05:28 PM

50 year anniversary - QF and the 707

I heard a whisper of a small event that will be happening at the YSSY International Terminal to commemorate the first commercial departure of the Boeing 707 for Qantas on 29th July.

The first revenue jet service for QF was on 29th July 1959 to San Francisco via NAN and HNL.

I believe a small service will be conducted on the morning of 29th July at the terminal though unfortunately I can't remember the time or the gate. Unlikely the general public can attend as I understand it will be definitely held at the gate from which the first flight departed 50 years ago (or close enough to it).

Possibly a chance to see a 707 in attendance?

David Ramsay 19th July 2009 08:15 PM

Does anyone know the date of QF's last revenue 707 flight?

I know it was from YSSY to NZAA and I was on it as a passenger. I didn't plan it that way, it just happened. I remember being wined and dined on board in honour of the occasion and doing a low level pass down Auckland Harbour at around 1000ft before landing at NZAA.

It was late 70's but I can't recall the exact date.

David Ramsay 19th July 2009 08:35 PM

Thanks mate. I was on the outbound leg from YSSY.

Jack B 19th July 2009 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James R (Post 32007)
Unlikely the general public can attend as I understand it will be definitely held at the gate from which the first flight departed 50 years ago (or close enough to it).

I believe the site of theexact gate the aircraft (VH-EBC, theres a fantastic picture of it with all the crew standing infront) departed from is now underneath the Qantas domestic terminal

Adam P. 19th July 2009 10:55 PM

If moderators are happy with this.....

Haven't had a chance to check with the mods before posting, but.... this event may be of interest for some board members.

The Sydney Branch of the Royal Aeronautical Society presents a special FREE presentation:

Topic: ‘50th Anniversary, 1st Commercial Flight - Qantas Boeing 707 EBA – 29th July, 1959’

Date: Wednesday 29th July, 2009

Time: 18:15 for 18:30 hours

Speakers: Capt Warwick Tainton, Dr. Ron Yates AM, Norman King

Support Speakers: Captains: Bill Cape, Val St Leon, Ian Watkins,

Venue: Centre Lecture Block, Theatre 6, University of NSW, Kensington

Synopsis:
Quote:

Warwick will commence with a précis of the Qantas Foundation and Qantas Founders Museum and lead into the search for and difficulties of securing the EBA. Norm will present ‘An Amazing Moment’ in the resurrection and return flight of EBA. Ron will cover the original Qantas purchase, construction, testing, delivery, first flight and briefly outline the international competitive circumstances/pressures which led to the Qantas decision to order seven 707s in September 1956. These aircraft were unique, tailored for optimum performance on the Pacific Route. Bill will cover the route structures of the 707 at the time, some of the slipping ports and the 707 crew complement. Val will discuss the conversion from L1049 to B707/138, followed by Ian presenting some thoughts on "Operating and training on the 707 in the 60's and 70's" highlighting some of the differences to today’s methods and machinery.
Promising to be a fascinating evening, with a chance to enjoy dinner with the speakers after the presentation. I will be there (as a member of the Branch Committee), it would be good to see a few Board members around as well.

Jethro H 20th July 2009 09:55 AM

It would of been nice to still have VH-EBA/XBA operational to be able to just duck down from Longreach.

Someone asked before about former Qantas 707-100's. I found this list below last year, and would be happy to be corrected...
Quote:

Operational (as of 2008):
VH-EBG. B-707-138. Qantas / British Eagle / Laker / International Caribbean / Sheikh Baroom…Sold to Republique du Congo - becoming 9Q-CLK - March 1998 Last reported with Wimbi Dira Airways, Democratic Republic of the Congo, it was at the Beijeng Olympics last year as the transporter for Congo.

VH-EBK. B-707-138B. Qantas / B.W.I.A. / Jet Aviation / TAG / Moroccan Air Force / TAG… Appeared as a static backdrop in the movie 'Black Hawk Down' which was filmed in Morocco – 2000 Believed to be still operational at Kenitra, Morocco – 2008
VH-EBM. B-707-138B. Qantas / Braniff / Tracy Investments / TAG / Jet Clipper Johnny Reregistered as N707JT - December 13, 1998. Repainted in full Qantas 'V-Jet' livery for Qantas marketing campaign - June 2002, Aircraft is current

Preserved (non Operational):
VH-EBA. B-707-138. Qantas / Pacific Western / Tiger Air / Airmark / Royal Saudi Air Force, re-registered as VH-XBA and retired at Longreach Qld

Scrapped:

VH-EBC. B-707-138. Qantas / Standard / Canadian Pacific Aircraft destroyed when it over-ran the runway on landing in fog at Vancouver Airport - February 7, 1968 The remains were sold to a North Carolina aircraft salvage company
VH-EBD. B-707-138. Qantas / British Eagle / Laker / International Caribbean / Sheikh Baroom Aircraft was scrapped at Le Bourget, Paris - July 1983
VH-EBE. B-707-138. Qantas / Standard / Pac. Western / Alaska / Bahamas / Aeroamerica / TAG Remaining airframe scrapped at Tucson - March 2006
VH-EBF. B-707-138. Qantas / Standard / Air Commerz / THY / El Al / Bouraq Observed at Marana extensively parted out - March 26, 1990 Scrapped - October 1993
VH-EBH. B-707-138B. Qantas / B.W.I.A. / Euro Financing / Air Guniee / Hughes International…Observed at Marana with wings & tail removed - March 5, 2005
VH-EBI. B-707-138B. Qantas / Braniff / Montana / Central / Egyptair / Misr / West Coast, Scrapped, parts used for KC-135E refurbishment program at Tucson, Arizona – 1991
VH-EBJ. B-707-138B. Qantas / Braniff / Montana / Egyptair / Misr, Withdrawn from service and stored at Cairo, Egypt - November 1987 Scrapped - date unknown
VH-EBL. B-707-138B. Qantas / Braniff / Merpati Nusantara / Omega Air. Broken up and scrapped in Ireland - July 31, 1993

Unknown:

VH-EBB. B-707-138. Qantas / Standard / Air Commerz / THY / Republique du Congo / Kingdom Noted at Port Harcourt, Nigeria as withdrawn from use - April 16, 2005… condition unknown today
Some information was sourced from http://www.aussieairliners.org/ which I found is a good source and tells about the entire 707 fleet, and a retired navigator added some missing bits of information to the above info.

D Chan 21st July 2009 10:55 PM

would be nice if JT comes to Sydney for a visit

Tony P 23rd July 2009 11:19 AM

When was the first Jet domestic flight in Australia?

Jason Carruthers 23rd July 2009 06:06 PM

Would have been Ansett ANA's MEB-SYD flight in November 1964 operated by 727-177 VH-RME. TAA's first Jet flight left a few minutes later. IIRC in 1967 TAA did the first Revenue DC-9 flight followed by Ansett ANA minutes later.

Raymond Rowe 23rd July 2009 07:58 PM

Ansett and Taa 727 were 727-076 For TAA

Ansett was 727-077 do not think any operator actually had the 100 series on the 727-100