Sydney Airport Message Board

Sydney Airport Message Board (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/index.php)
-   Flying and Technical Discussion (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   2008 RAAF Air show (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=1129)

Gerard M 24th July 2008 07:22 PM

2008 RAAF Air show

I'm planning on heading up to Amberley this year, (from syd) to the air show. From what i can see on the RAAF website there isnt much information on how to get there.
I was wondering whether anyone can shed some light as to how the best way or any ways for that matter on how to get there. Im presuming id fly into Brisbane. But whether there will be buses or is a car the best way to go?
Any help would be great as ive got to plan ahead due to uni and flights etc.
Thanks in advance.

Raymond Rowe 24th July 2008 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerard M (Post 9082)
I'm planning on heading up to Amberley this year, (from syd) to the air show. From what i can see on the RAAF website there isnt much information on how to get there.
I was wondering whether anyone can shed some light as to how the best way or any ways for that matter on how to get there. Im presuming id fly into Brisbane. But whether there will be buses or is a car the best way to go?
Any help would be great as ive got to plan ahead due to uni and flights etc.
Thanks in advance.

A car would be the best option.

Michael M 24th July 2008 08:39 PM

I went up to the last airshow they had at Amberley a couple of years ago. I flew to Brisbane and stayed at a hotel and drove to Amberley in a hire car. All went very well. No traffic congestion and I parked only a short walk from the entrance to the base. I was considering taking the train but found the car a better alternative.

Greg McDonald 24th July 2008 10:28 PM

Fly to Brisvegas, airrail to Roma Street station then train to Ipswich. That gets you to within a few Ks of Amberley. Not sure if they will be running public transport from Ipswich to Amberley but they normally do....ring the RAAF and ask.

ChrisG. 24th July 2008 10:31 PM

What are the dates?

Greg McDonald 24th July 2008 10:36 PM

4 - 5 October, 2008.

Gerard M 27th July 2008 06:05 PM

Thanks for that people. Another thing, does anyone know of some reasonably priced hotel or something around that area that won't be too far from the airport or Amberley?
Thanks again.

Gerard

Andrew McLaughlin 27th July 2008 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerard M (Post 9319)
Thanks for that people. Another thing, does anyone know of some reasonably priced hotel or something around that area that won't be too far from the airport or Amberley?
Thanks again.

Gerard

Reasonably priced hotel in Ipswich??? Aint no such thing unfortunately.

I'm booked at the Best Western Heritage which is, at best, a 2 Star Motel, but it's charging ~$175/night during the airshow.

Last week I stayed at the new Oaks Aspire Apartments in Ipswich. It was $99/night last week, but they're asking $300+ during the airshow!

Better to stay somewhere in the western suburbs of Brisvegas (Darra etc) and commute!

andrew evans 28th July 2008 11:58 AM

i hope there is more international visitors then what is advertised on the web site.

Gerard M 6th August 2008 11:36 AM

Thanks for thats Andrew. Still looking for somewhere to stay..:confused:

Any idea when you'll be able to buy tickets? It says that they will be avaliabe closer to the date?