Thread: Perth Spotting
View Single Post
Old 15th August 2008, 09:31 PM

Hi Rhys

Maybe/maybe not as I think that the large spectre of "security" will loom large and anyone stopping will be asked to move on. I also read somewhere that new fences are being erected as well.

However, I wrote to WAC in May asking that consideration be given to a dedicated Spotters area being provided as part of the upgrade and I will be making a formal submission when the Public Consultation process opens.

I also understand that a local Mayor is very supportive of a dedicated spotters/viewering area, that several well respected former aviation identities/Public Servants will be lobbying WAC and that various enthusiasts groups will also be making submissions.

Having said all that, WAC has already announced that the grand "vision" announced only three months ago in May will not proceed in that form and the number of gates provided will be considerably less than that originally intended but will supposedly be built at a later date.

I don't understand the reasoning and feel that WAC has "blinked" when faced with the costs which may have been more than expected (surely they would have known?)

Whatever the reasons, I think they've made a big mistake and should be building for tomorrow, today.

The Western Australian economy will certainly not stand still and WAC's folly also brings into question whether such important national infrastructure as airports should be in private hands.