View Single Post
Old 29th October 2008, 05:33 AM

When I was a kid I travelled on my own a few times, it was great. I also travelled with my parents a great deal as well. I was never any trouble however, not even flying from Colorado Springs to Adelaide via Los Angeles, Tahiti, Sydney (nearly) and Melbourne with a 10 hour delay out of Colorado Springs and a diversion to Melbourne instead of Sydney. I was 8 years old.

My mum had us well trained I guess but those were the days when parents took responsibility and boys will be boys wasn't socially an acceptable excuse for bad behaviour.

I generally don't have an issue with babies in business, loud mouthed Americans who stand next to your seat and bellow at their friends talking all night on QF108 is another story.

My one gripe is the trend for kids to have the wheel aboard bags of their own which are essentially empty and just consume space. I am sure a small bag which can go under the seat in front would be just as adequate. My second gripe is parents with babies who are unprepared such as refusing to place the baby bag in the overhead locker for take off and landing and not having anything for the baby to suck on for take off and landing leaving the child unable to equalise the pressure in their ears.

You can get jerks and badly behaved people on any flight in any class and I think to limit this to children is a bit unfair. I have seen many DYKWIAM's behave far worse. If I ever find myself having been allocated the bassinet row and I notice someone in a normal seat with an infant I will always offer to swap, it is just the right thing to do.