Thread: 747-8 Article
View Single Post
Old 7th November 2008, 07:40 AM

Hardly the most objective article I have ever read. It quotes Boeing who makes the plane and LH who have bought it. Surprisingly both think the 748 is a great plane.

They also think it is an amazing corporate jet though I don't think anyone would develop a program based on the tiny market for corporate mega-jets.

The finishing touch on the article comes in this paragraph

Quote:
Following this line, the BA (British Airways) order puts the A380 back in the crapper for EADS because that’s 12 more money losers they have to build before the life support for this turd of a program is discontinued.”
Whilst I have never heard of this "colleague" who maybe nothing more than a planespotter, it is an amazingly unprofessional comment if this person claims to be aviation consultant or similar.

The whole 77W v 748 comparison proves nothing. As the saying goes, 'the proof of the pudding is in the eating' and airlines are ordering 77Ws and ignoring 748s. The performance stats tend to suggest there is no real advantage in the 748 unless it has seating numbers as per Boeing's comparison chart which, as we have seen recently with A380 is unlikely given the growing size of seating in both first and business classes.

There maybe a market for the 748, though, as time goes by, it seems that apart from the freighter version it seems doubtful but this article is barracking not an objective analysis.

Brad