View Single Post
Old 12th April 2008, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash W View Post
Not quite, people will bring what they want and need. Lowering a per peice bag weight to 20 or 23Kg would bring a minor saving in weight, but bring in extra as excess baggage.
Well still, wouldn't Qantas then gain additional revenue from countless excess baggage fees?
As much as I roll my eyes at unions and their constant demands, it seems like win-win situation for them and Qantas if the baggage allowance weight is dropped to 20/23kg. For those passengers who would abide by the new lower weight level Qantas would save weight (I know, not much), and for those who simply want to bring along everything but the kitchen sink.. well Qantas can charge a decent fee for overweight bags.

Quote:
Why do they need to lower it to 23Kg? As many have said the safety issue would appear to be a furphy and the airline
I agree that these 'safety' issues voice by the unions are rather trivial, and as I said earlier in the thread, if you can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen..and let someone who can cope with the job do it. So I'm not trying to convey my point from the unions point of view, but rather from the airline's point of view whereby lowering their maximum free-of-charge weight limit to 20 or 23kg will lead to either a decrease in the collective baggage weight each aircraft has to carry or an increase in revenue from excess baggage fees.

Quote:
The thing I dislike about the BA 23kg is when I travel for a work trip I always have around 20-22kg. There are times it is more, times it is less. Without scales at home how the hell do I know if I have too much. Remember the 23kg is a hard bag limit, so if you are over you need another bag. At least with 32kg I know that provided I don't put lead (or several hard back books) in the case I will always be under 32kg.
I totally agree with you Ash! With my trips to the US West Coast over the past couple of years I've mostly travelled with either QF or NZ, and I have never had to worry about if my bags were overweight because there was no way I'd ever pack 32kg in one bag alone...but on my latest trip there I flew SYD-HNL-SFO with the HNL-SFO leg flown with Hawaiian Airlines. Their free-of-charge weight limit was 50lbs per bag (= 23kg)..so I was forced to pack less than I normally would. I didn't like having to plan out what to pack rather than just stuff it in my bag like I would normally do with QF and NZ....but hey, rules are rules, and you have to abide by them. If the baggage limit is 23kg, then you just gotta accept it and stick with it (or pay excess baggage fee)... so it guess in the end it doesn't matter what weight you prefer to have, what's more important is the limit that you have to abide by.

At the beginning of next year I will be migrating to The States, and I've booked to fly with V Australia. Their free-of-charge weight limit is 23kg each for 2 bags (50lbs) for Y-pax. If I were to fly QF or NZ it'd be 32kg (70lbs). So this will mean I'll have to very carefully watch what I pack, and ultimately leave a few things behind that aren't vital to take with me on the move over there. Sure that'll suck because I'll want to take as many of my possessions as I can, but I made the choice to fly V Australia, so I can't really complain.