View Single Post
Old 23rd March 2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash W View Post
Qantas have already made the decision that it was too expensive to modify the floors of their first A330-200's to accept Skybed, hence why they ordered new build aircraft for this purpose and sent their older ones to Jetstar. I beleive they also need galley mods to bring them up to international spec too.
LOL This floor upgrade cost always gets the blame for QF not using the old domestic A332s for the international config. It is true it would cost a couple of $$s to strengthen the business class floor (but has been done before, most of QF 744s floor was upgraded to handle the in seat IFE system and Skybed). What is not clearly mentioned is that the entire cabin would have to be gutted to bring it to Int spec (larger capacity fully chilled galleys, a full inseat IFE system, more lavs, etc) then there is the need for higher aircraft spec (MTOW and engine thrust). This all equals very large $$s. Again it has been done, recall that QF brought the initial A333s as domestic configs and then stripped them to an empty shell to install a completely new Int config.

On the origional topic, I thought the plan long ago was to bring the QF A330 maintenance to BNE?? Thats why awhile back they built new hangers up there and QDS is contracted to do the RAAF A330 MRTT conversion project in BNE as well as provide the through life support for the aircraft. I don't see the boys in the Philippines touching aussie military aircraft any time soon.