View Single Post
Old 25th March 2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
however this sounds like something that was not within their control when it happened i.e. bad maintenance.
I'd be very careful in criticising the maintenance of the aircraft Nick. Things like this, can be just as simple as a bit of wear and tear, or even an error when the chopper was built!

The number of problems I've had in my career so far which were absolutely nothing to do with maintenance of the aircraft, but simply wear and tear that had no obvious signs prior to failure, could go on for ages.

Putting it down to "bad maintenance" is a criticism I don't believe you have the authority to put forward.

As for the incident itself. I don't see why it even became newsworthy in the first place. The first 2 approaches were unable to be completed due to weather, which goes to show the professionalism of the crew, and the third encountered this problem which also sounds as though it were very professionally handled by the crew.

So overall, I don't see what the fuss is about. It's probably doing more to show the crew's professionalism than anything, which unfortunately, to the uneducated, would not be obvious at all (apart from 'reading the manual').

Mick