View Single Post
Old 13th April 2008, 11:46 PM

Only ever had one runway incursion, and it wasn't even my fault!

Wanted to taxi a C210 from the Southern GA at Darwin, over to the RAAF side nearest to the Aerodrome Reference Point for an altimeter check, then back to my parking area at the Air North apron.

Called ground, requested taxi clearance to the particular point, "India Delta Zulu, taxi to taxiway Alpha, CROSS runway 11". Just prior to me, a C206 had requested taxi clearance for a departure off runway 11, but because he was in the northern GA, I ended up in front of him (not what ground had thought would happen), unbeknown to Darwin Ground. So I taxi out, and at the time that I looked up the runway to check, the C206 was only just lining up, so was clear when I checked. Taxied across the runway, stopped where I needed to get to, to hear "Ahh, India Delta Zulu, is that you on taxiway Alpha?", "Affirm", "Roger, you just crossed the runway without a clearance", "Errrrr, you did say to CROSS runway 11". A quick check of the tapes and there was one very red faced Ground controller in the tower after that, .

Moral of the story, unless you get a cross runway clearance AT the holding point, might wanna just double check that clearance, .

Floody