View Single Post
Old 22nd April 2009, 11:12 AM

Smile Memories, memories ...

Most memorable landings:

1982 in a CX 743 from LHR into Kaitak during a monsoon after three GAs and insufficient fuel for a fourth GA. I'm sure I even saw some local residents peaking out from behind their washing with fingers crossed for us! Violent lurching, abrupt power changes, aquaplaning - this one had the lot! I was too innocent to be scared back then.

1984 water landing in a Sunderland taxiing across a coral reef and all the way up the beach on a Fiji resort island - surprised the tyres didn't puncture on the sharp coral but the pilot was confident the a/c weight would break the coral before that could happen (not too eco-friendly in those days!)

Most memorable takeoff was a 1986 Garuda flight from Denpasar (can't remember which a/c - possibly a 767 variant) with two aborted attempts to rotate before a third successful attempt, dodging potholes in the runway as well. Once had a t-shirt that said "I flew Garuda and survived". A bit more topical these days than it was back then.

Favourite flight was a 1989 ride in the Colgate corporate helicopter from 34th Street helipad in Manhattan to the corporate research facility in Piscataway, New Jersey via all landmarks along the way (WT towers were still there too).

Not sure why all my memorable/favourites are from the 1980s but they are. Maybe I'm more blase about travel these days.