View Single Post
Old 28th April 2009, 10:24 AM

How can you NOT punish the captain of an aircraft if he commits a serious breach of safety procedures and kills others?

On the seas a ships pilot/captain is responsible if he navigates incorrectly causing death, injury or damage (Sydney Ferries have a few examples of this). On the road a truckie who drives recklessly, speeds etc is held responsible for his actions (he is also driving a vehicle on behalf of a company such as Toll etc.) just as a train driver is responsible for an accident if he fails to follow procedure.

Saying that a pilot is any different, regardless of systemic failures within the airline itself is almost justifying wrongdoing.

I know Montague and others put forward the point that Garuda itself needs to improve training and safety, which we all understand will go a long way to improving their safety record, but that shouldn't automatically remove responsibility from the pilot. He was trained independantly of Garuda, he knows what is right and wrong, procedurally and morally. If he chooses to ignore his training, then some form of punishment needs to be handed down to remind other pilots that they still have a duty of care to themselves, their colleagues and most of all the public.

Yes Garuda needs to institute a new culture of safety first practices but I personally believe that it shouldn't mean that negligent pilots should be allowed to walk away unpunished.

P.S. I do understand in this case the pilot has had his license revoked, which is a good start, and a prison sentence of any kind also sends a message.