View Single Post
Old 7th October 2009, 02:34 PM

Default JQ Flight Attendent "Hunted Down Passenger"

Quote:
Flight attendant 'hunted down teenager'

A MALE flight attendant is being investigated by Jetstar over allegations he contacted a teenage girl on Facebook using details from passenger records.

The Jetstar attendant sent the 15-year-old girl several messages via the social media website after a flight from the Sunshine Coast to Melbourne last month, reports the ABC.

The girl did not give him her name but within hours of the flight landing in Melbourne the man had added her to his Facebook page and sent her several friend requests, the girl's mother says.

The woman, who was on the flight with the 15-year-old and another daughter, is reported to have complained to the airline about the breach of privacy.

“He's accessing the names of passengers, particularly my daughters who are underage, and then he's using that information to contact them. I find that really disturbing,” she told ABC radio's AM program.

The mother says the flight attendant still sends her daughter messages asking why she hasn’t added him as a friend.

“She started to get a little concerned – she was saying ‘Does he know where we live?’.

“She was a little bit disturbed by it, and a little worried about what might happen to her.”

The woman told the ABC she is concerned about other vulnerable young passengers.

“I am just worried about - particularly during the school holidays with teenagers flying all over the country on their own - that maybe there's been some impressionable girls who have said ‘an older flight attendant, we'll add him’”.

“And I don't know where he's going with this, you know. If the girls had added him, would he then say, 'let's meet?'”

A Jetstar spokesman said the airline is investigating the complaint.

“Jetstar management are expeditiously looking into the matter at question,” Jetstar spokesman, Simon Westaway, said.

“We are viewing the allegations as serious but it’s important that we get all the information together and ensure that we're dealing with the facts of the matter.”

Jetstar will interview the flight attendant today.

Source: http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/...014090,00.html
That's terrible. How can passenger's privacy be that easily be invaded even for flight attendant to date through adding the other on Facebook? Then next time if I have to protect my privacy should I use the other names to book on my JetStar flights so that flight attendants won't be able to add me on Facebook or use my name for other unintentional use?

I hope Jetstar can launch a formal investigation and take suitable compensation to that teenage girl also take displinary action against that cabin crew.

Anyway, perhaps if you want to keep your privacy, you can fly Qantas instead of JetStar next time?