View Single Post
Old 21st November 2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray P. View Post
Scott has hinted on Airside Tours which is certainly a tangible benefit, and better spotting areas which sounds great, but then I am not sure if that means that card carriers only will get access, and if so, how will that be policed?
I got the impression airside tours (and/or up-close access aircraft, etc) were potential prizes for assisting AFP and airport security people in the event of a security breach. I don't know if it was a bonus being offered to all paid-up, card-carrying spotters.

If I averted a terrorist incident, I'd want a $10k reward and nomination as Australian of the Year, not an airside tour, etc - none of which has been guaranteed as a bonus to those who assist, anyway.

Not since locals in Mascot and adjacent areas hijacked the media to endlessly complain that YSSY was "too noisy" have we seen overboard politicking and manipulation of a supposedly major airport issue.

Only today I saw an AFP car jotting down the licence plate details of professional photographers reporting on the departure by private jet of a major US celebrity. Completely ridiculous, completely unnecessary and a total waste of AFP resources. Airport noise was the political football at one time, now it seems to be security.