View Single Post
Old 7th May 2011, 08:53 PM

I am a regular business traveler to Rockhampton and Mt Isa from Townsville, and fly to these two destinations. I first flew Virgin from TSV-ROK about three weeks after these flights initially started, and there was only 18 people on the E170 that day. I thought to myself back then that these flights were doomed.

However, every other time I have flown this TSV-ROK-TSV sector, the flights have been very close to full and on one occasion an E190 operated ROK-TSV and this flight was also jam packed. Just recently Virgin changed schedules and the TSV-ROK-TSV service has gone from 6 per week to 4. I am actually flying TSV-ROK on Tuesday next week, and then ROK-TSV on Thursday 12th, so I will report back on the loads on those two flights.

As for Mt Isa, I regularly fly the QantasLink Q400 TSV-ISA-TSV. I can tell you that these flights are always packed to capacity, and with fares not that cheap, I would think it is a very profitable regional route for Qantas. Rex also operates Saab's on the TSV-ISA-TSV route as well, so it will be interesting to see if Virgin do bid for Mt Isa services with their ATR's when the contract comes up for renewal in a couple of years time.