View Single Post
Old 29th May 2012, 03:40 PM

The Oaks ALA

Back into Bankstown

We passed overhead the Bindook VOR, Matt then began his gradual descent to 3500ft, as we descended towards Camden’s CTA. Matt then got his airways clearance to once again cross through Camden’s airspace, and for us to also watch out for an invisible glider we couldn’t sight.

The mysterious Holsworthy Airfield

After Camden, we started tracking for one of two Bankstown VFR reporting points, this one being 2RN, which is a big red and white radio tower, and is visually sighted by a bright flashing light that can be sighted many miles away. We started to track for that, Matt made his inbound call to Bankstown Tower who cleared us to track via Liverpool and Warwick Farm racecourse, for an arrival onto Runway 11L, which was in the opposite direction to where we taken off from earlier that afternoon.

M5 Motorway

Liverpool Station

Chipping Norton

We followed the track, and once over Warwick Farm, received our clearance to land on Runway 11L. Matt smoothly descended the aircraft for a nice profile, which once the aircraft was configured, brought us over the piano keys and touched down nicely on the runway. After that, we taxiied off, changed to Bankstown Ground, then made our way back to the Sydney Aviator’s hangar.

He shut down the engine, and we both hopped out, gathered our belongings and handed the aircraft over to the next pilot, a young chap doing his solo circuits.

After everything was finalized (Including the hardest part of paying for the aircraft hire!), we parted company to head home and enjoy Christmas with our families. Indeed it was a great way to spend an afternoon.

YouTube Video – “Touch and Go”

Additionally to this Trip Report, I have included a video which I shot with my GoPro HD sports cameras, which have gained a very wide prominence on the market. The video pretty much summarises the flight from start to finish, as well as the sights and scenes we enjoyed along the way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofoDf655jig

Aside from that, thanks for reading, and thanks to Matt for having me along. Hope you all enjoyed it! ☺