View Single Post
Old 9th January 2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Argy View Post
But if a passenger expressly draws the crew's attention to a noisy leaking seal, surely even the moist laid back crew would report that to the cockpit, or check it themselves more assiduously?

Absolutely, Philip.
When I was a captain in a previous life, i would always insist that cabin crew draw such matters to my attention. I always encouraged an open line of communication on my flights. However, the level of 'openness' depends to a certain extent on the company culture. Both airlines I've worked for are quite positive in this area.

We don't know what really happened in this instance. It is customary for the cabin crew leader to communicate with the flight deck. We don't know which cabin crew member was advised of the noise and the subsequent line of communication. I suspect the flight deck WAS contacted, where they checked the pressurisation (probably appeared normal) and asked for regular updates from the cabin crew leader. At some stage after this, the seal obviously failed completely.

As a side note, the level of noise coming from the door doesn't necessarily reflect the level of leakage. On the few occasions I've had door seal leaks, the noise of the airflow over the outside of the door has been louder than the leak itself.