View Single Post
Old 22nd January 2015, 04:30 PM

Default Virgin ATR in rain

I've just had the most bizarre day resulting from a Virgin Australia ATR not being able to handle what the first officer termed as "showers".

I was on VA1187 from SYD to PQQ this morning when we attempted to land at PQQ in rain. We had to do a go around from fairly low altitude and back into a circuit abut the airport for about 20 minutes or so. The first officer explained on the PA that we were unable to land due to a "rain shower" and we would wait a bit and have another go. However the showers persisted and we gave up heading on to Brisbane.

To to make things more interesting, when we attempted to land in Brisbane, we had to perform a go around there as well but this time due to a runway incursion bu another aircraft that (according to the First Officer) requested an immediate departure, was denied and went anyway causing said go around.

The end result was no meeting in Port Macquarie for me and a trip back to SYD and a wasted day.

My question is, what's the go with the ATR not being able to land? I'm sure I've landed in worse rain than that (no mention of wind anywhere by the way). I'm avoiding that type from now on! Nothing flash anyway...