View Single Post
Old 22nd April 2009, 04:41 PM

Members of a Perth spotters group have enjoyed an excellent relationship with the airport authorities for many years and our organization was used as a model for similar spotters groups in other cities.

Myself and others from Perth offered advice to "Shep" when he was making preliminary enquires about getting a better deal (and understanding) for Sydney spotters and similar advice was offered to people in Melbourne and Brisbane when they went about establishing formal groups. I do know that the Brisbane group was quite active for a while but have lost contact with it and I'm unaware of what happened in Melbourne - I'm not talking about "Jetspotters" here but more tangible, formal groups. This was all happening 3-4 years ago.

Adelaide has a formal spotters group which predates the Perth one and both have the benefit of being successful and respected because they operate in smaller cities than Sydney or Melbourne.

I'm no longer a member of any formal group so can't comment on the current situation.

And my reference to "embracing" spotters was probably more directed at some members of security companies who appear to have little or no understanding of the aviation industry and even less of spotters and their foibles.

It's just a personal opinion formed after several misunderstandings over the years. Hopefully, things are changing around the country.