View Single Post
Old 17th February 2011, 10:29 AM

Our ETA at the gate local time in Perth was 0800. However, we were about 2 minutes early despite having to wait briefly for another Qantas 767 to finish pushing back from our gate.

Waiting for the sister 767 to finish pushing back from our gate.

We pull in next to VH-VXD at Perth domestic.

Captain boarding VH-VXD

First Officer boarding VH-VXD

The baggage handler gave me a wave and a thumbs up after seeing me peering out the window as he began to unload our plane. So I only thought it fair to take a snap of the gentleman.

Captain returns after his pre-flight walk-around.

I enquired about a visit to the flight deck, but unfortunately, the aeroplane had a tight turn-around time, and the pilots were a little eager to have their morning coffee. The cabin crew were all scheduled to fly later that night on the red-eye flight back to Sydney, so they too were eager to get some sleep at the hotel.

Nevertheless a big thanks to Captain Middleton and the rest of the crew for a lovely flight.

Flight: QF582
Date: 11/11/2011
Aircraft type: Airbus A330-202 “Clare Valley”
Aircraft Registration: VH-EBN
Sector/Route: Perth (YPPH) to Sydney (YSSY)
Seat: 50A
Passenger Load: 90-95% Full
ETD (gate Sydney local time): 1330
ATD (gate Sydney local time): 1334

After arriving at Perth Domestic terminal, I had to check-in and drop of my bags. Perth has much the same self-serve check-in system as Sydney, although Virgin Blue, Jetstar, Alliance, Cobham, Skywest, Skippers, and Strategic all use check-in desks still.

Since I had no internet connection in Perth, I was unable to check-in online and choose my seat online, which meant I had to do it at the airport itself. This time I was well acquainted with the check-in system, although I did request the help of the QF staff to help me find a window seat. To my shock, the flight was going almost full, and I managed to snap up the last window seat available on the entire flight. Seems like using the online check in 24 hours prior to departure to choose your seat is absolutely essential if you care about where you sit.

After dropping our bags, my family and I waited for a while in the departure lounge prior to going through security since we had another 2 and a half hours before our flight was scheduled to board. While waiting, we had a good view of the bag pick-up carrousels, and couldn’t help but notice the number of flights arriving full of miners from Karratha, Port Hedland, Geralton, etc. It was the first we had seen of the mining boom first-hand, and the number of miners arriving on their way home to their families for the weekend was amazing to watch.

After an hour, I insisted we all move through to the departure lounge so that I could do some proper spotting. Once through security, I went absolutely crazy, walking the entire length of the terminal multiple times snapping pics as I went, much to the amusement of waiting passengers who didn’t seem to realise what all the fuss was about.

Here are some of the treasures I found...

My first shot ever of VH-VXB “Yananyi Dreaming”. What a way to get the spotting ball rolling...

Our plane VH-EBN “Clare Valley” being loaded up and prepped for my arrival onboard.

VH-OGH arrives from somewhere with the international terminal and visible in the background. A QF A330 and 767 along with a Malaysian 777 can be seen.

VH-OGH “City of Parramatta” on taxi towards the gate next to my plane. She would later depart for Melbourne a few minutes before my plane departed for Sydney.

VH-VXL “Charleville” being readied for departure. P.S. this one’s for you Floody

Skywest Fokker F100 VH-FNC while Virgin Blue Boeing 737-8FE(WL) VH-VUV taxis behind for departure to somewhere.

I was particularly intrigued by all the airlines that are booming in WA due to the mining boom, particularly Skywest, Skippers, and Cobham. So pardon me for getting a little overly excited since we don’t see the carriers in Sydney.

Skywest Fokker F100 VH-FNC again.

Virgin Blue Embraer E190 VH-ZPI, Skywest A320-231 VH-FNP, Virgin Blue 738 VH-VUV on taxi, an Alliance Fokker F100, and another Virgin Blue Embraer E190.