View Single Post
Old 20th March 2008, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Barber View Post
G'day Ash W,

It's been a bad month for the QF B744 fleet.

Might be somethng to do with the fact -OJG was stranded in Delhi with a u/s engine which then -OJQ had to be ferried out with tech crew and a 5th pod.

-OJH went u/s for a couple of days in HKG with undercarriage dramas, it blew a couple of tyres.

And -OJK was delayed ex AVV after Y+ fitout after corrosion was found in the fuselage.

-OEB is overseas being painted at SIAEC in Singapore also.

So I guess it might have been a 'knock-on' effect with these aircraft dramas.

I'm sure others on here might be able to provide more detailed techincal info on the problems that occured.
It does seem they are having some 744 problems, I found it odd that only QF1 seemed to be effected. I flew SYD-BKK on 29/2 which was ok, I then flew BKK-LHR on 2/3 (which was the 1/3 departure from Syd) and it was the first of the late flights. The aircraft was meant to be -OJK (which is a bugger because I was allocated a seat in what should have been the Y+ seats) but it ended up being -OJH. This flight was well oversold in both J and Y, at check in they were asking people to delay 24 hours, and the guy next to me on the flight got bumped from J to Y and was not a happy camper. What I will say about Qantas is they knew very early the flight was going to be delayed (like 12 hours before it left Sydney) and someone from Qantas called me in Bangkok to say not come check in until about 1:30.

The problem with the engine in Dehli was a few days later. So I guess the root cause would have been the the lateness of -OJK out of the shop, followed by some of the other issues having a follow effect on. Since my flight I out of curisoity have been keeping tabs on QF1, which is why I know that every day (except Friday's) it was late by 3-4 hours. The past week or so it seems to have settled down, just hope the departure ex Sydney tomorrow (21/3) is ontime as my wife is flying BKK-LHR on that flight.

Speaking of -OJK is she now out and flying and are there any other Y+ 744's out there yet. I understand that QF1 is meant to be 100% 4 class by the start of April which is when the seats start to get sold as Y+