View Single Post
Old 12th February 2009, 08:40 PM

Flight EK412 started boarding around 0815 at Gate 61, there are 3 airbridges with one goes straight to the upper deck door.

A6-EDD waits for the maiden voyage to Auckland, New Zealand!!

Emirates handed out chocolates for all passengers onboard the inaugural flight today.

Welcome Aboard Emirates A380

My seat, 11A, the 3rd window seat in Business Class. Although I was one of the last passengers to board the aircraft, the very busy crews still manage to deliver Champagne and amenity kit featuring Bulgari hand cream and cologne.

We pushed back slightly late and lined up on runway 34L around 0910 local time.

The tail camera view of A6-EDD lining up on Rwy 34L.

The Departure

It was a powerful, yet quiet and effortless takeoff; we rotated around ½ way down the 13000 feet runway and initially heading North direction. The cruise level is 41,000 feet. Flight time is a short 2 hrs 40 minutes. The pilot, Wayne Taylor is from New Zealand (how nice for him to fly the giant A380 back home!!) and First officer Grant Fichera is from Australia.

Above picture: Climbing out of Rwy34L with some condensation over the engine. The smaller window of A380 (and most Airbuses) makes it difficult to photograph.

The in flight service starts promptly after we reached our initial cruise level. The crew set up our table individually and serves course by course instead of a “one tray” approach.

I have a glass of Moet and Chandon for the start. The crew will serve Brunch on the short flight to Auckland with 2 course meals. Unfortunately they ran out of menu of this flight.