View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash W View Post
The data is public and in this case the poster has IMO hidden it enough to put in on a public board.
No, the data is NOT public. Just because it is not encrypted does not make it so.

When crew or a company send a message on ACARS, you are not the intended recipient. You are evesdropping. Sometimes ACARS is used to send information that is best not transmitted over the radio. There is no urgent need to prevent someone, if they are interested, from reading it, and obviously some here have the ability at home to do so, and that isn't something that is going to be stopped.

Publishing that information on a board that represents the interests of the spotting group is an entirely different thing which, I believe, (As detailed in my previous post) works contrary to the intent of most here to be an accepted part of the aviation community.

For example, a lot of work seems to have been done in making good relations with the airlines, with Virgin acknowledging the group for the arrival of its first aircraft. I wonder what their ops control/security departments would say if they find their company confidential transmissions and flight attendants details turning up on the spotting website? At the very least I'm sure that it wouldn't do the image of the group much good.

Feel free to disagree, but if you are going to attack my ideas, please make the effort to construct something other than "but the personal details have been removed", as that is not my point.